I can’t stand to see off-campus being slowly gentrified

‘Nobody at Ohio State is gonna benefit from a hotel’

“Bob Dylan once wrote, ‘The times, they are a-changin.’ Unfortunately Ron Burgundy had never heard that song.” – Anchorman. Don’t be like Ron Burgundy. The High Street scene is changing drastically and it’s important to know what’s going on.

As many of you have heard, High Street will be experiencing massive changes in the next few years. Campus Partner has initiated a “15th & High Urban Framework Plan,” or Gateway 2.0 as I like to call it, and it’s already began to gentrify the off-campus community that we hold near and dear to our hearts. What can we expect? So far we’ve been promised a public square, student housing, a hotel, offices, and several retail shops amidst the 14th to 17th avenue region of High Street.

I mean, if there’s one thing students love to do on their Friday nights, it’s shopping and relaxing at the campus public square…

I’m told that I bought my first legal drink at Chumley’s on my 21st… such priceless memories

This vibrant, upbeat district we’ve been promised (Southpark’s ‘SODOSOPA comes to mind) surely won’t come without a high price. So what’s at stake?

Bernie’s, Campus Corner Store, Cane’s, and Pizza by the Slice have already left – and Too’s, Brenen’s Café, Jimmy John’s, Mama’s, and The O Patio & Pub are on their way out. Rumors have surfaced recently that campus favorite Chumley’s may not even survive, but hey… at least the sidewalks will be wider.

My biggest problem with Gateway 2.0 is it’s clearly not intended to heighten the social experience of undergrads. The hotel will probably earn most of its profits from alumni and parents and we already have all the retail shops we need as college students. Gentrification may not be the most conventional term to describe what’s taking place, but the heart of Ohio State’s thriving bar scene – a major aspect of our college experience, is being replaced by something that 25-year-olds would seek out.

Last time I checked, Grad Students and YoPros aren’t exactly the target demographic of our beloved off-campus region. All this frustration led me to wonder whether or not I was alone on this issue. Maybe I’m just an uppity senior that doesn’t like change – or maybe I just spend way too much of my time at these bars. I decided to get the opinions of some of the other students about the matter to gain some perspective.

Nicole Knight, Junior, Finance

What are your thoughts about the Gateway 2.0?

I think it’s a good idea to make High Street look nicer – it’s super dirty, but I don’t think they’re putting the right activities here. They’re taking away beloved bars but not giving anything back that’s worth our while. Nobody at Ohio State is gonna benefit from a hotel.

What are you most bummed about?

The O has a special place in my heart. Especially during game days. Pizza by the Slice and Too’s are also pretty great even though they’re kinda gross.

Is there anything Campus Partners can add that will fill that void?

I would really like to see a Chick-Fil-A or a nice sit-down restaurant would also be pretty neat for dates and what not, but yeah… I’m really gonna miss the O.

Marcus Hattar, Junior, Logistics

First of all, Ohio State’s already huge. They don’t really need to control any more space and they’re taking a lot of the places we socialize at. I think they’re trying to clean up the High Street area to help attract incoming students. Nobody who goes to Ohio State and knows what it has to offer will want to check out any of these new spots.

What are you most bummed about?

Too’s closing. I love Too’s. It’s my spot. It’s super unique and underground. A new bar can’t just pop up and replace the history behind it.

No. I don’t think so. I guess updating some of these popular bars instead of tearing them down may help.

Sam Aprile, Junior, Civil Engineering

Well, I understand what the University is trying to accomplish and get out of it from an economic and aesthetic standpoint, but it’s really sad because it takes away from the identity of Ohio State’s off-campus personality. I’m a strong believer of mixing the old with the new. It might have been fine to knock out one block of existing structures but the fact that they’re overhauling three blocks just seems like they’re changing the core of Ohio State’s social scene. I think it’s gonna break down the identity of Ohio State in some ways.

What are you most bummed about?

The fact that I won’t be able to come back in ten years and show my friends or wife what Ohio State was like. Bernie’s was especially tough for me. The Friday night happy hours are very sentimental for me. I’ll admit that Bernie’s was grungy and dirty, but that’s part of what makes it special. You can’t recreate that.

One thing I will probably end up liking is it will likely be super beautiful. If some really cool bars or restaurants come out of it, I’ll be somewhat content.

Well it looks like I’m not alone on this one.

Ohio State has been around for 146 years and has grown into its own unique personality. I’m a realist – things can’t stay the same forever, but change should be organic. I worry that our student body isn’t being serviced fairly with this drastic overhaul. Unfortunately, it’s here to stay whether I like it or not.

The best thing I can do is enjoy my time at Chumley’s and hope the bar scene has something to show for it when I send my kid here.

Ohio State