We met up with the man behind the mic at Too’s

An exclusive interview with OSU’s favorite musician

Too’s Spirits Under High is one of the major highlights of Ohio State’s night life. It’s not uncommon to see a line of students out the door on a Thursday night, each one eager to get their hands on a discounted 40 ounce bottle of Natural Ice. The bar is known for its wall of beer labels, tidal wave shots, and live music. But what sets Too’s apart from other bars at Ohio State isn’t that it offers live music – it’s the person who plays the music.

Jon White has been playing at Too’s since its infancy. After landing the lead role in the play Grease at his college in New York, he realized he wanted to go into entertainment full time. He began DJing and playing in various bars before finding himself in the dive bar under High Street. Since then, it’s been a match made in heaven.

Many patrons of Too’s know Jon for his 90s mashups and the occasional jab about some guy’s rear end, but what a lot of people don’t know is that Jon loves music and Too’s more than anything.

Jon performing at Too’s. Photo courtesy of Too’s Under High

When was the first time you picked up an instrument?

When I was in the seventh grade, I always thought the drums were the super coolest and, I’m going to say sexiest, but I probably didn’t think about what was sexy back then, it was probably just really cool. So I put together all of my money at the time, and I bought a drum set off a guy on the penny saver, and I brought it home. My parents hated me because I was just banging on these drums, but I was just addicted. I have drumsticks with me right now just because it’s my favorite instrument to play.

Did you ever have any formal instruction?

No, I never had any lessons, I wish I had. One of the larger things I care about in life is understanding why things are the way they are. I think that gives you a better understanding, and not like on a deeper, spiritual level, but like on an actual fundamental ‘this is how this works’ level. So when I play guitar, when I play a cord, I want to know why I’m playing that cord or why my fingers have to go into that position.

Was there anyone that you were really inspired by when you first started to play?

No, I just like art. I just like seeing people be moved and have a good time. The best thing about my job is that I’m at work while everyone else is having their fun. It kills my social life, but it’s so nice for me. I like every one of my shows, wherever I’m playing, to be the equivalent of your family getting together over the holidays, and then there’s that one weird cousin that plays piano or something like that, and you all get together and sing songs. At the same time, you might be screwing around with the words a little bit, you might be poking fun at each other, but in the end you all just love each other and want to have a good time. I want whatever bar I’m playing at to be like a living room with a family just having fun.

When did you really start getting into performing music?

The music really coincided with Too’s, time wise anyway. When I realized I wanted to start playing, and at the time it was probably more for a few extra bucks and to have some fun, I came down and I met Scott, the owner, about a month after he opened the bar, and I started playing here at Too’s every Saturday night. That worked out really well, we did that for a few years together, and at the same time I started playing around Columbus and other cities in Ohio.

After a couple years went by, and after me getting fired from a million other bars, I realized that Scott and I were like the perfect marriage and I think he believed the same. So we decided that I should probably focus the majority of my time to the majority of the time that his bar is open. So for the past about two years I’ve been playing here every night that the bar is open. I still play in other places, but this is like my home base.

Jon posing with some fans

What’s the experience been like for you while playing at Too’s?

I’ve been in bed with Scott since he took over this bar, so I’ve always been around. Too’s has always had a changing staff but sadly, I spend most of my time on one end of the bar while everyone else is on the other side behind the bar, so I don’t really get to work with them at the same time, but at the end of the night and even as the staff has changed over the years, these are all still my dudes. I care about them. Sometimes even more than I think they might know because I don’t necessarily hang out with them outside of work because I have other proclivities, but I’ve always loved every single person that’s ever worked here. And that’s what makes Too’s great. It’s always been the people behind the bar or the people greeting you when you come in or when you leave for the evening. They’re just the best people.

How has Too’s changed since you started working here?

I’ve worked on campus, and played other shows on campus, for as long as I’ve worked at Too’s. Some people can identify one bar as one place that might be a little bit more Greek, and some places might be a little more indie, some places might be completely house music, with different styles of drinks and all that stuff. All of those things have slightly changed and will continue to do so as long as this bar or any other bar on campus is open. The one things that stays consistent here is to just leave your cool at the door and have a good time while you’re in here. I know that’s kind of a political answer, but it really is the truth.

The whole night you’re standing up on stage and you can see everything. Everyone’s looking at you, but what do you see?

I like looking out as far as I can see to the opposite end of the bar, wherever I’m playing. Sometimes it’s really nice for me to see, if people on the other side of the bar are reacting to what I’m doing, then I know I’m doing a good job because then hopefully everyone in between will be doing the same. I also like this bar and playing here because I can see that some people might hang on every word I say or every gesture that I make, and there are some people that just want to be in a booth to the side, talking to their friends. I’m happy to see the people taking me at their own pace.

Myself and Jon

What’s been the most memorable experience you’ve had while playing at Too’s?

There was a night a couple years ago where I was playing Mr. Brightside by the Killers. We got towards the end of the song and somebody, God or whomever, cut the power to the entire building. But we made it just far along enough in the song, and I believe I was doing a good enough job to keep everybody’s interest, and when that all went off, the crowd just sang the rest of the song, in unison together. And for whatever reason the power came on right at the end of the song, but it was a beautiful moment.

How do you feel about Too’s closing? Do you plan on playing at the new Too’s?

Here’s the cliche: Too’s is where the heart is. My heart is always going to be with Too’s and with Scott and with the people that patron the bar, so yes.

Ohio State