I am in favor of Greek life and what it has to offer, but just barely

Stress the fact you’re a Finance major—they tend to like that

Greek life has always been a controversial topic in the media. On one hand, so many successful people have been a part of this institution. Countless politicians and businessmen have gone through the system and advocate it due to their friendships formed and lessons learned.

On the other hand, there’s a history of racism, sexism, abuse, and more. The argument for or against Greek life oftentimes revolves around one of these assertions—but I think there is a far more prominent issue to explore when deciding whether or not Greek life is a good thing. How much of your individualism is at stake when joining a fraternity or sorority?

I’ve spent the past three years in a heavily involved in a fraternity and on the spectrum of this debate, I am in favor of Greek life and what it has to offer—but just barely.

With football now in the rear view mirror, there’s very little going on at Ohio State during the month of January. It’s more or less just an awkward buffer between New Years and Valentine’s Day. If you’re in Greek life like me, the definitive event of the month is undoubtedly recruitment. Just as I did, thousands of wide-eyed freshman kids are moving from house to house, looking for their lifetime friends.

It’s taken me three years to admit it, but I didn’t simply go house to house looking for the group of guys that best matches my personality and interests—I sought to mimic an unspoken mold that would garner me the most attention.

Dress preppy, but not too preppy, collared shirts and khakis are always a safe bet, don’t center topics on drinking, but make it clear it’s a priority in your life, and stress the fact you’re a Finance major—they tend to like that.

Why is it finally clear to me that I did this? Because dozens of guys have gone through our house with the same spiel and many of them have received bids because of it. I’ve recently come to the sobering conclusion that my individualism was being sucked out of me. What happened to the guy who read Lord of the Rings, played piano, and watched indie movies? Am I going to college to learn what I want to do with my life or to be implicitly told what I want to do with my life and try my best to meet that standard?

Unfortunately in Greek life there will always be a perpetual pull towards normalcy. There’s a saying I’ve heard: “If you’ve dated one frat guy you’ve dated them all.” While a bit extreme, it contains a seed of truth.

Now how could I possibly be in favor of Greek life after this long, nihilistic skewering of everything it stands for? First off, Ohio State isn’t a ‘Greek school’. There are schools all around *cough cough Miami University* where everything revolves around Greek life. Here, fraternities and sororities are just another organization that provides a niche for students.

Second, I’m more certain of my individual character because it was called to question and reaffirmed. Everyone will have a time in their life when they are pulled toward normalcy—whether it’s a sports team, a company, or a friend group. You can either fit the mold you’ve been given, or use it as an opportunity to strengthen your own personal character.

Greek life can be a good thing—but only if you acknowledge the bad associated with it and ensure it doesn’t impact who you are as a person.

Ohio State