Why we dance: For the kids

‘BuckeyeThon has, without a doubt, changed my life and my outlook on life’

BuckeyeThon’s Dance Marathon is an annual fundraiser through the Miracle Network that The Ohio State University hosts to raise money for Nationwide Children’s Hospital and childhood cancer research. Ohio State students and faculty celebrate the lives of children by holding the largest dance marathon in the country.

This event is split in two shifts, the Scarlet Half from 8 p.m. on Feb. 5, 2016 to 8 a.m. on Feb. 6, 2016 and the Gray Half from 11 a.m. to 11 p.m. on Feb. 6, 2016 and consist of dancing, games, video games, live performances and more.

Samantha May, current BuckeyeThon team captain and dancer, said: “I love BuckeyeThon and what it stands for so very much, and I can only hope that other students feel the same way as I do. BuckeyeThon has, without a doubt, changed my life and my outlook on life.”

BuckeyeThon will have a new, higher minimum fundraising goal of $250 for each dancer for its annual twenty-four-hour dance marathon, February 5-6 in the Ohio Union at the Ohio State University.  This year, instead of setting a goal for the university, BuckeyeThon is asking dancers to set personal goals for themselves.

Only dancers who raise the minimum amount can attend the Dance Marathon. As the cost of cancer treatment continues to rise, the efforts of all participants is becoming more important. According to the website, the current cost of one chemotherapy treatment is $250, making that the new minimum goal for each participant.  They also encourage visiting the Fundraising Toolbox on their website and following them on Twitter and Instagram to receive updates on fundraising initiatives throughout the year.

Samantha said her experience at BuckeyeThon was centered around the Miracle Kids that attend the Dance Marathon and seeing the smiles on their faces and the tears in their families’ eyes as they all walk down the red carpet with Brutus the Buckeye.

“There are a million reasons to register, like the chance to join thousands of friends in a legendary Ohio State tradition or the experience of singing ‘Carmen Ohio’ while standing with thousands of Buckeyes who are working toward the same goal, ending childhood cancer.”

BuckeyeThon is the largest, student-run philanthropy at The Ohio State University, hosting many events and fundraisers throughout the year to raise money For The Kids, such as the BuckeyeThon Fashion Show, the OSU Homecoming Parade, the Miracle Miles 5K, and the Columbus Marathon.

Last year, BuckeyeThon’s Dance Marathon raised over $1.2 million For The Kids. Every penny raised goes to the Hematology/Oncology and BMT Department of Nationwide Children’s Hospital in Columbus, which is part of Columbus’ Children’s Miracle Network Hospital, a collection of children’s hospitals across the continent.

This will be my first year participating and I couldn’t be more excited. Knowing that every cent I raise goes to the kids is an incredible feeling. Look for me dancing my legs off in the Union!

Ohio State