What the buck is there to do during the spring semester?

Your starter’s guide to ballin’ on a budget every weekend this spring

You may be thinking, without the excitement of home football games or the anticipation for the holidays that there is little to distract us from the bitter cold and monotony of classes. Luckily, that is not the case.

There are hundreds of events going on at Ohio State and in Columbus every weekend between now and the end of the semester. Most events are offered free of charge, while others offer generous student discounts. There is something for every Buckeye to enjoy!

For the OSU sports lover

Spring semester is the prime time to check out some of the best teams the Ohio State Athletic Department has to offer. If you have a valid BuckID, you are able to attend nearly every sporting event for free. Plus, you don’t have to go very far to see some top notch athletics. Reigning National Champions, Synchronized Swimming and Wrestling, compete on the weekends at the McCorkle Aquatics Pavilion and St. John Arena respectively. St. John Arena is also home to the Men’s Volleyball team and is right next door to the Ohio State Ice Rink, where Women’s Ice Hockey plays.

If you don’t mind a longer trek, Baseball games start up in March at Bill Davis Stadium, right next to the Jerome Schottenstein Center. The “Schott” is home to Men and Women’s Basketball, along with Men’s Ice Hockey. Men’s Basketball is currently offering OSU students single-game tickets for $14 that can be purchased through your Ohio State Buckeyes Account on Ticketmaster.

You can find game times and locations for the above sports, as well as others, on the Ohio State Athletics Calendar of Events. There’s also a map of OSU Athletic Facilities to ensure you arrive to your event on time.

If football is the only sport for you, the annual Spring game is scheduled for April 16. More information is to come regarding tickets and start time.

For those who want to get fit

If you’re looking to start or end your weekend with a good workout, OSU offers a variety of inexpensive ways to sweat out the stress of school. The RPAC offers free fitness classes for students throughout the week, including Friday and Sunday. Classes range from cycling to yoga to kickboxing, and more. Just be sure to activate your Fitness Pass before you go!

The Ohio State Ice Rink offers open skates on select Fridays and Saturdays. Admission for students is $5, plus $3 to rent skates. The calendar is updated monthly, so be sure to check back for updated times and dates.

Looking to do something active with your friends? Intramural sports offer fun and laid-back options to participate in a competitive environment and have fun while doing it. The cost per player or per team depends on the sport, but free options include Crate Stacking and a tennis tournament. The average cost per team for most sports is about $45-$60. The Recreational Sports website offers information on how and when to register for the sport of your choosing.

For the avid film and music fans

You don’t have to go far to hear some great music or see a great film. The Newport Music Hall is located directly across from the Ohio Union and hosts a wide variety of musical acts throughout the year. Bands such as Gaelic Storm and X Ambassadors will be gracing the stage over the course of the semester. The cost of general admission tickets vary from act to act, but generally fall around $20.

Gateway Film Center shows a unique assortment of films and presentations. Student movie tickets are $6.50 or $9.50 if the film is in 3D. The theater also hosts multiple events, such as “Saturday Morning Cartoons” the 2nd Saturday of every month or “Midnight Movies with Dr. Bob” one Saturday a month. They also hold an annual 24 hour marathon of the movie, “Groundhog Day” starring Bill Murray. If a dedicated movie-goer can make it through the marathon without a phone and without falling asleep, they win free movie tickets for a year.

For the tourist

Though the city of Columbus may seem out of our grasp here on campus, it’s fairly easy to find your way downtown. If you have a valid BuckID, you can use it to pay your fare on the COTA buses. If you’re more in favor of a direct route, an Uber ride from campus to downtown is roughly $10-$15, depending on traffic and surge pricing.

Columbus has many events go on throughout the year, with the majority costing little to nothing. The Gallery Hop in Short North takes place the first Saturday of every month, starting at 4pm. Businesses open their doors to showcase some of the finest local art in Columbus right on the sidewalks of High Street. Speaking of art, the Columbus Museum of Art offers free admission on Sundays, with $8 student tickets offered on all other days. If you’re feeling scientific, COSI sells discounted tickets for $11 after 5pm on the last Friday of every month.

Being an Ohio State student gives you many opportunities to buy heavily discounted tickets or win free tickets in a lottery. D-tix, located in the Ohio Union, sells and gives away tickets for sporting events, Broadway shows, and concerts to OSU students. It’s a resource that not a lot of students know about, so be sure to take advantage of it!

Believe it or not, this is only the tip of the iceberg when it comes to what’s happening at Ohio State this semester. The Office of Student Life gives the complete rundown of what’s going on day-in and day-out through their online calendar, so you never have to miss a single event.

Ohio State