A week of cheap (and free) things to do

Let’s face it, we are all broke, but why let it stop you from having fun?

Are you ever sitting with your roommates and continue going back and forth with “I don’t care, what do you want to do?”

In a world of indecision, this is a guide you can count on when you and your friends just can’t decide—the best, and cheapest things to do around Columbus.

Monday

As college kids, we all love food, and cheap food is even better. On Mondays in the Short North, Bodega hosts $1 grilled cheese sandwiches (which are oh so good). Head over with some friends and share a couple bowls of tomato soup, heck even get two or three grilled cheeses to go with it.

Tuesday

One of the easiest ways to put aside the stress of college is to set down your books for an hour or two and go catch a movie. The Gateway Film Center holds $5 movie Tuesdays each and every week, and they even throw in free popcorn to enjoy during your flick. (Head’s up* if you’re living a little off campus, Gateway will validate your parking for the deck directly behind the center for only $1, just remind them when you buy your movie ticket.)

Wednesday

Even with the colder season right around the corner, the surrounding areas of Columbus have some of the best metro parks in the state of Ohio. Head up to the Highbanks Metro Parks located just 10 miles north of campus in Powell. This park is the home of almost 1,200 acres with areas for just about anyone’s interest. Bring your dog for a walk or your boyfriend for a romantic stroll, but the Highbanks Metro Park is not one to pass up while you are living in Columbus.

Thursday

Thirsty Thursday should never have to stop and one spot everyone should check out is Oldfield’s North Fourth Tavern. Every Thursday they have one of the best karaoke’s on campus at this dive bar. Located on the corner of North Fourth and Chittenden Avenue, karaoke nights at this “Mason Jar Bar” will quickly become some of the best memories you have from your time at Ohio State.

(Bonus – they have $3 Long Islands and PBR Tall Boys as their karaoke special.)

Friday

For a little action take a trip to Sequoia Pro Bowl located on Sandalwood Boulevard just a quick 15 minute drive from campus. On Friday’s they have “Rockin’ Bowl” until they close at 2am. This includes the fun atmosphere of laser lighting and classic rock-n-roll tunes and most importantly, it is only $11 all-you-can-bowl until close. You can’t beat that much fun for such a small price.

Saturday (Home games)

There is no other place anyone should be on a home game day than on campus. High Street is your prime destination for all things Buckeyes, so choose your own favorite place to be on these days.

Saturday (Away games)

It can be a little difficult to find the perfect place to watch the game when it isn’t here in Columbus, but many places around the area host viewing parties for these days. Studio 35 Cinema and Draft-house located on Indianola Avenue just north of Hudson shows every away game on the theater screen for free. (Hint – arrive about 35-40 minutes before kick-off to snag your perfect seat.)

Saturday (Off-season)

Take a trip a little South and stop by the Short North District. Throughout the year they hold many different food and arts festivals, and even when they don’t have anything special, the place itself is still a great atmosphere to explore. There are many shops, restaurants, and art galleries for everyone to enjoy!

Sunday

Sunday’s should be for relaxation, and the Columbus Museum of Art Downtown has free admission just for this reason. Open from 10am-5pm, the Columbus Museum of Art is one easy way to have a great time and get a little bit of culture while you’re there.

After you spend a relaxing day at the Art Museum, continue fulfilling your artsy-side and grab a cup of coffee at Kafe Kerouac on High Street across from West Northwood Avenue. This chill coffee shop holds all sorts of different Sunday night events from Open Mic Nights to Writer’s Guilds. So get a cup a joe (maybe with a shot of Jameson if that’s your thing) and enjoy the ambience of this underground coffee house and bar.

Ohio State