Some things I’ve noticed as a black woman at Ohio State

I am ‘sassy’ to everyone I meet

Hi. I’m Black. I’m a woman.

I go to Ohio State, I’m a fourth year senior, and I’m like one of 10 and half black women.

OK, that’s a lie. According to the OSU 2014 Statistical Summary, there are a total of 3,108 African-Americans enrolled at the Columbus campus. On average the total men to women ratio is 1:2 so there are about 1,500 black women out of 58, 322 people on this campus at best.

Yes. We are like specks of dust on the campus.

OSU is not a school with racial tension and it is important to understand the difference between not knowing and racism. I have experienced racism and it is not a word to throw around lightly.

Based on my own experience, I think it is safe to say sometimes people genuinely don’t understand. They don’t know using “ghetto” to describe everything is annoying or putting their hands in my hair like I’ve got children in there makes me uncomfortable.

It’s not offensive, and it definitely is not racist, it is just them being products of their environments. They don’t know because they have no experience and I have learned to not hold grudges or anger because of it.

So I’ll creep. Yeaaahhh. Just creeping at local parks

A lesson learned is patience is a virtue and if you ask yourself “Which do I prefer: racism or ignorance?” I think we can all agree the latter is better.

There is a lot of talk about being black on college campuses all over the United States, but even with all of the blogs, vlogs, and social media posts about this topic, not many black women have raised their voices about campus life at OSU.

Because of this I shall bear the burden…and try to not to offend the few black women on campus.

Are you ready?

Questions about hair

Getting turnt before finals

“Can I touch it?” No. I will not allow it.

How did it grow so fast?

“OMG. Is that a weave?”

‘You’re not like other black girls I’ve met on campus’

Of course I’m not. Everyone should be different, and blacks are no exception. A word of advice: that is not something you should say to me, or anyone for that matter.  Also, the chances of you meeting another black girl on this campus is quite low since…you know…we are less than 3 percent of the campus population—so don’t get happy and think your statement was valid.

Do not call me your ‘resident black informant’

No. Just no.

I’m a ‘sister’ to black sororities and fraternities

I still am confused by why “sister” and “brother” are go-to terms of address. Isn’t that some twisted form of incest if every black girl is your sister and every black guy is your brother?

‘Doesn’t racism bother you?”‘

No. No it does not.

Is the sarcasm clear?

It is such a shock when people see me at the gym

At the RPAC with my friend who shall remain nameless

People actually stare. Do black women not work out? Am I missing something?

I’m a novelty

There is so few of us on campus that being friends with me is like hitting the jackpot. I am really the only black friend on some people’s Facebook. I’m quite honored.

When I see another black girl on campus I get excited and start clapping my hands

It is honestly like spotting a snow leopard in the summer.

I get stared at a lot

Is it because of my charm? Maybe.

My impeccable fashion sense? Probably not. I can hardly find matching shoes in the morning.

My sex appeal? HA! Don’t make me laugh.

So I can only assume it is because of my chocolaty goodness. Yum.

I am ‘sassy’ to everyone I meet

It took me a while for figure out if I should be flattered, or if I should start lining up throats to start punching. For me, I associate being sassy with an unlikable stuck up woman with an attitude problem. This woman always has a “clap-back” mentality as if she is always under attack and has to prove herself to be at the top of her nonexistent metaphorical game. Urban dictionary says differently. Apparently being sassy is being in possession of an “ungodly amount of cool”. LIES. “Sassy” is the equivalent to “b&$%h” in my book. I don’t swear. Don’t judge.

Hear is the granddaddy of them all: It seems like I’m not black enough

Because of my choices and how I talk, dress, and act people have openly questioned my blackness. Yes, I speak Standard American English, yes I dress like a “basic girl”, and yes I drink Starbucks, but this does not equate to me being this umbrella term “white” which encompasses non-blacks. Just because I don’t have a circle of black friends people think I’m ashamed of black people, I’m afraid of them, I don’t like them, or I don’t think I’m black. None of these are the case. The truth is: 1) I don’t have a circle of friends— I have two best friends 2) I speak African-American Vernacular English as well as Standard American English because I’m bidialectal 3) Finally, my choices about how I live my life should not determine my blackness.

Be sure to like our Facebook page here.

Ohio State national-us