‘We can survive four years’ isn’t a comforting statement to marginalized America

Who is ‘we?’ Sure as hell isn’t people like me

Last Tuesday I felt my whole world fall apart. I sat staring at the television screen, coming to terms with the realization that my country had actually done it. It had actually become the nightmare we, as a nation, adamantly proclaim is a thing of the past.

A racist, homoantagonistic, transantagonist, xenoanatagonistic nightmare. And it fucking hurt. But you were all shocked, weren’t you?

For three days I cried. I cried for my life; I cried for my status as a member of the queer community, first generation Chinese American, survivor, and woman. I cried because I fear no longer being able to afford college. I cried because I felt every single thing I’ve worked for, slipping away within a matter of seconds.

I am scared for people like me, and I am terrified someone in a more marginalized community won’t get to see tomorrow. But mostly, I cried because though many white people have tried to comfort me from a good place, they can never understand.

I do not blame every white american, but I would like to emphasize that optimism can only go so far. A majority of the people who voted for Donald Trump were white. And though many of you mean well and did not, your institutionalized racism allowed a man like him to rise to power in the first place.

A Facebook status, tweet or fucking safety pin doesn’t make a difference when you are a marginalized American. We don’t get to put a safety pin on and feel like we are helping someone. We don’t get to post a status and walk away feeling like we’ve ‘done out part.’ Twitter isn’t going to save our families.

“It’s only four years” is not a comforting statement. For you it probably will be “only four years.” But for your Muslim neighbor? Imagine how fucking scary it is to not be a white/cis/heterosexual/male right now.

The next four years are not going to be a regular Presidency; they will be a determination of whether or not a majority of marginalized America will get to see year five. Don’t tell me “We survived Reagan, we survived Bush, we can survive Trump.” Who is “we?” Sure as hell isn’t people like me.

If you are a white ally, fight for people like me. Take your privilege and shove it in the fucking face of white supremacy. March with us, protect us, and support us. Not just that, but fight for marginalized communities even when nobody marches beside you. Who knows how long we will be able to.

Challenge your racist relatives. Get in line when Trump demands Muslims register themselves. Proudly proclaim that black lives matter, trans lives matter, immigrant lives matter, people of color matter, gay lives matter, and women’s rights are human rights. You’re either with us or you’re not.

NYU