Why you so obsessed with me? Getting to grips with NYU stalkers

None of us have any chill

Lately all I’ve been hearing about and seeing on social media is people complaining about their singleness and their plans to comfort themselves with tinder dates, wine and ice cream because for some, it becomes a lot harder to accept being single. Why do people obsess over not having someone? Probably because we are equally obsessed with the glamour of being in love as we are with the actually thing. Who doesn’t want an overly stereotypical romantic date?

I mean I’m guilty of it too- here’s a picture of me last year on Valentine’s Day lounging in a hotel suite where I spent the night with my boyfriend at the time.

Rather than sob about being single, Why not reflect on the humor of it, more specifically the crazy things we do when we have crushes.  I first asked my best girlfriend Sophie what the craziest thing she had done to stalk a crush was. She replied “Juliette you know me, I don’t stalk guys” Sophie is a chill girl that does NOT wait around for a guy to text her. If you are a Sophie I applaud you- and I hope you enjoy the responses I got from the freaks at NYU who do a ton of stalking with and without social media.

The Drive By, or ‘walk by’ since we live in Manhattan

“Last year I used to re-route my walk to class because if I did I would see the guy like at least 3x a day”

“Walking down a different street in hopes of seeing them”

“Driven to their house during a party, with my best friend, I think we were trying to crash it but then we left.”

“I always drove by his house”

Coffee shops are major key

“I started going to a particular coffee shop we met at once” ( I may be guilty of this one too…)

“In London I Googled where he worked and went to a coffee shop in the neighborhood like every day. Makes me cringe thinking about it.”

Clothing stores work too

“I asked out a girl who worked at clothing store and was so glad when she took my number. But then when she blew off our plans, I showed up at the store to ask her why. It turns out she was seeing someone else. That didn’t stop me from going back to the clothing store again…”

Art students really know to stalk

When I asked my friends from drawing class if they had any stalking stories, one response I got was “Eleanor made a whole fucking art project on guys that she social media stalked. There were posters with specific information on people she never met.”

Poets too…

“When my first boyfriend broke up with me and then started dating my super close friend at the time (Maxine) I got her friend who had Math with him to read a poem I wrote to him, because he wouldn’t speak to me and kept hiding from me.”

Thank God for social media

“I stalked a guy on social media every day seven months before we started hanging out.”

“Regular Instagram/Facebook/Twitter stalking scrolling through each tweet, clicking every username, constantly checking the ‘following’ page on Instagram to see what he liked & commented on.”

“If you saw them tweet/post on Snapchat that they’re out somewhere, you try to go there.”

“Adding people they hang out with on Snapchat/Instagram so you can see if they’re in anything.”

“Constantly checking to see if they saw your Snapchat story & it was a ‘failure’ if they didn’t see it.”

“Waiting for them to be online (on Twitter or Instagram) to post something we want them to see.”

And music…

“When they tweet song lyrics, looking up to see if it’s a song or not & what song it is.”

“Changing the music you listen to & try to know more than them about artists in that genre.”

Risky business

“I stalked a guy on LinkedIn to find random details of where he has worked… little did I know Linkedin shows you when someone has viewed your page.”

AND THE BEST OF THEM ALL

Going through the NYU bookstore website to see their schedule.

NYU