NYU hosts Relay For Life to raise money for cancer research and survivors

12.7 million people are diagnosed with cancer every year

“You have cancer.”

Imagine hearing those words. We all know the disease. We know its effects. We have a general knowledge of the treatment plans. You may have never sat in a doctor’s office and heard these words, but in this year alone, millions of people did. We are all one degree away from cancer. Everyone is affected by cancer in some way. You may be currently fighting, you may have a friend, a parent, or a child battling this disease. 12.7 million people are diagnosed with cancer every year and 7.6 million lose their battles. The fight to cure cancer is a universal effort and if we all work together we can be the generation that beats finishes the fight.

Relay for Life is an an overnight experience to celebrate survivors, honor those who have lost their battles, and take initiatives as a community to fight back against cancer. It is held in more than 20 countries and 1 in 9 people around the globe participate in Relay. It is the largest volunteer-driven event in the world and it began in 1985 with one man who had a dream to provide hope. From there the event grew to include the combined strength of family and friends in an effort to raise awareness and funds that help save lives and support those battling cancer. Now with the support of the American Cancer Society and participants all around the world, Relay has become the largest not-for-profit activity worldwide.

At this event, we enjoy live entertainment, play games, and eat food all while raising funds for the American Cancer Society. Throughout the evening, individuals and teams walk around a track overnight to symbolize the progressive steps we, as a community, are making towards curing cancer. Cancer never sleeps, so for this night, we won’t either.

The funds raised before and during the event contribute to research, outreach, education, and community service programs that help those fighting and remember those who have lost their battles. We are fighting to save more lives faster and to make the words, “You have cancer,” nonexistent. When we join together, we are bigger than cancer. This event is life saving and life changing. So please, join us in this ceremony. Relay for Life is the largest collegiate event at NYU and our university has consistently ranked among the top 3 collegiate Relay hosts in the nation contributing over $450,000 to the cause. The event will take place from 6:00pm-6:00am on Saturday April 30th, in the Chelsea Piers Field House. To join in this fight, register for this event here. If you are not in the New York area, the event closest to you can be found on the Relay for Life webpage or you can donate to a personal campaign or a team.

Together we will defeat cancer and turn that “have” into “had.”

NYU