Stop judging the actors in Tisch

We have feelings too, remember?

First and foremost, actors are people too.

Most of our concerns are the same as every other person’s — we worry about our looks, our jobs and being accepted by our peers. The difference with actors, is that our persons, along with our insecurities, are put on display and magnified by stage lights.

There is a pre-existing stereotype of how actors should look. We have all heard the argument that the media perpetuates an idealized body image which is unrealistic and unhealthy. Who is physically fit, perfectly symmetrical, has perfect hair, blue eyes and is white? The percentage of people who actually fit this description is extremely negligible compared to the actual population of the world. Imagine for a second that you will not be able to support yourself financially unless you fit this demographic… OK, now you can kind of understand the daily stress of an actor.

Of course, appearance is not an actor’s only concern and it does not completely dictate whether or not we will get work. Meryl Streep was once told that she was too ugly to play the lead in King Kong, but somehow she managed to get by (if “getting by” constitutes earning 19 Academy Award nominations).

In what other field in the United States can you be turned away from work because of your race, height or gender? I am not denying that racism, sexism and general superficiality do not exist in the American workplace, but discrimination is amplified and even accepted in the theatre.

In addition to constantly worrying about the opinions of casting directors, we are plagued with yet another source of rejection. This one stems from our community. As actors, we know we’re a little out of step with the rest of the world. How else are we supposed to observe, interpret and comment on the human condition? However, despite our eccentricities, actors are still human beings and we want to be accepted.

The city is a great and inspiring place for actors because we are all together. This still does not interrupt the constant questioning of when an actor will get a “real” job. Student actors are also belittled by some of their peers who assume that, because they are studying an art form rather than taking the derivative of an equation, they are not their academic equals, even though they still have to take academic courses.

In addition to our academic classes, student actors have internships, jobs, 9am-6pm studio class days and rehearsals from 7pm-11pm (or later). Our long studio days include learning about proper vocal health, the effects of sexual abuse on people, different accents and their cultural origins, etc. We do this because we must accurately portray and honor the individuals of this world. Actors are some of the most sensitive and empathetic people you will ever meet.

My upmost concern is failing the character. When playing a part, I am living with the memories of another person. This person is my responsibility and I am tasked with making the audience understand their pain and struggle. The human experience is not that original. Suffering, happiness, sorrow and love know no boundary. Every human being experiences emotion. Actors really are not that different.

So when someone asks me when I’m going to get a “real” job, my response is: I have one. I am a reporter, a psychiatrist, a journalist, a politician.

I am the mirror and voice of the human condition. I am an actor. Now tell me, does this corset make me look fat?

NYU