Protest in WSP in solidarity with Mizzou and Yale

‘The year is 2015 and black students are hiding in their dorms because they don’t feel safe going to class’

The protestors arrived in Washington Square Park at 1.30pm with signs, singing, “We who believe in freedom cannot rest until it’s done, We’re here, we’ve been here, we ain’t leaving, we are loved.”

A crowd gathered and made a circle while people handed out posters and lyrics.

Some people were handed pieces of paper and went to the front to read out a history of Mizzou and black education from the 19th century to the present.

One of the protesters shared her experience with racism, and then listed the demands of the protest, mostly centered on developments in the University of Missouri.

Afterwards the floor was opened up for any people of color to share why they were at the protest and any personal stories.

Regarding the events at Mizzou, NYU Freshman Lz Granderson said: “They’re dealing with how to address institutionalized racism, a system of oppression.

“The students of color at Mizzou are currently demonstrating… that their lives do in fact matter.

Lz Granderson

“We need to realize that these are questions that have been prevalent for a long time.”

Another NYU Freshman, Rose, added: “I think it’s absolutely deplorable what’s happening there [in Mizzou].

“The year is 2015 and black students are hiding in their dorms because they don’t feel safe going to class.”

NYU