What Sternies have to say about why other NYU students don’t like them

‘People are sort of jealous that we get our own WiFi and nice building’

You can hate it, love it or secretly wish you’d go there (we won’t tell anyone if you do), but there always seems to be a reason for NYU students to have strong feelings about Stern.

We don’t know, however, what Stern students think about non-Sternies’ feelings towards them.

So in an effort to really understand Sternies, The Tab asked students around Tisch Hall why they think non-Sternies don’t like them. This is what they had to say:

Gregory Suter, Sophomore

“People are sort of jealous that we get our own Wi-Fi and nice building. But I think in the end its all about our strong school culture we have at Stern, which can intimidate others who don’t have in in their schools.”

Lila Remez, Sophomore

“Because we think we are better than them, and we are.”

Leonardo Sabó, Sophomore

“Stern is the flagship school of NYU. We are like top 5 Business School and the rest of NYU is like 30.”

Michael Kanarek

“Non-sternies tend to have this notion that we’re arrogant. That we only care about people who have their lives pretty much figured out and have a structured idea of what they want to pursue in the future. This tends to scare away non-Sternies: they feel we don’t want to network or be friends with them, which is completely untrue.”

Jonathan Rapo, Sophomore

“Because they look themselves in the mirror and compare themselves to us and thats pretty much it.”

So we’ve gathered some solid responses that provide us with an idea as to how Sternies think of themselves with respect to the rest of NYU. You may think that some of the Sternies you’ve met are arrogant, not creative and that they only care about money. Or maybe you just really don’t like that one kid you know from Stern who’s ‘really into finance.’

My take: I believe it’s an issue of culture. Stern is very different from the rest of the schools, and these differences create tensions between us. It’s also a result of misconceptions associated with the Stern archetype, and an assumption that we all share the same personality and behaviors, which is, of course, not necessarily true.

What we cannot deny, is that just like all NYU,  Stern is full of talented and very bright individuals who are just as passionate about what they do as you are of your Screenwriting seminar, your Politics class or your Media and Identity class. We are all part of NYU and we Sternies are mostly happy about it.

NYU