We went to the Donald Trump SNL protest

‘SNL is promoting hateful and racist ideology’

This Saturday, Donald Trump hosted Saturday Night Live in one of the most highly anticipated SNL performances in a long time. The anticipation surrounded a host who, while running for President, has seemed to offend pretty much every minority in the country.

Oh and women too.

With many seeing this as a shameless ploy for NBC to up its ratings, as well as a hypocritical act from the network that cancelled Trump’s show in June due to offensive speech, ANSWER Coalition (Act Now to Stop War and End Racism) organized a protest via Facebook outside of 30 Rockfeller Plaza on Saturday evening, and the Tab went to check it out:

This was the view from across the street (next to the NBC Studios).

Immediately upon rounding the corner into Rockfeller Plaza, I could hear chants like “Boycott NBC”, “Basta Trump” and “SNL escucha, estamos en la lucha!” (“SNL listen, we are in the fight”).

The protesters from the ANSWER coalition, other organizations and simply some concerned and angry citizens were shouting, equipped with a range of different protest materials that all seemed to express one sentiment: We’re pissed off and NBC needs to listen.

“It is about the hypocrisy of NBC – they cancelled his show but now we’re here. It’s about the greed of corporate media. They are promoting hateful and racist ideology,” said Marnie Halasa, An Occupy Wall Street performance artist.
“If we don’t do this, Donald Trump and SNL get away with it… there may only be a few hundred people here but it represents millions,” said Danny Katch.
“The U.S was made of immigrants and Donald Trump is shutting doors on immigrants,” said Addy Mau.
“Donald Trump is not good for this country. He should be prosecuted for hateful speech…they should built a border around Donald Trump’s mouth,” said Ann Crocheron.
This was a particularly painfully ironic poster to see at the protest.
Anyone who has walked by Bobst has likely seen the “The Jews control Google posters” or  “Jews control the NYPD” posters many times, and this photo shows the same poster, with an added “SNL = Jewish Producer” (referring to Lorne Michaels, the show’s executive producer).
The irony is particularly poignant because on one side of the street, there was a group of people protesting discriminatory actions and speech and then on the other side there was this guy. It kind of put a downer on what was an empowering demonstration against a bigoted individual.
 With the Saturday Night Live ratings at their highest since 2012 for this episode but slammed by critical reviews, Donald Trump’s hosting was a significant moment in the show’s recent history.
What was also clear from this event is that US citizens will no longer sit in silence regarding Trump and they will make sure they are heard at every turn.
Keep your eyes for more anti-Trump protests in the next few months, they’re becoming increasingly hard to miss.
NYU