NYU’s finest: Designer Victor Leonard

We chat race, sexuality and love of sportswear

Victor Leonard is a rising star in the fashion world – he’s already had his own fashion show and he’s still a sophomore in Gallatin.

We caught up with designer Victor in his dorm to hear about his shows, love of sportswear and hatred of Jeremy Scott.

As Victor told us, fashion was not aways his main area of focus.

“I came to NYU to study the Medical and Scientific Illustration in Gallatin and also some architectural studies.

“But after working with Gallatin Fashion show I realised that clothing can play a crucial role in the way that we see one’s race, class and sexuality.”

Victor’s collection that he did for Gallatin fashion show last year was an interesting synthesis of old and new influences.

Each look he made for it was inspired by one of the characters from The Odyssey.

His collection had a strong high-couture touch with profound attitude towards to details that reminded me of the S16 Givenchy show.

One of the looks from Victor’s collection

Victor’s collection made him seem like a person who follows high fashion, but he proved it to be wrong.

When we asked Leonard about his about his favourite designers he said: “For my understanding of fashion, the thrift shop was an important place.

“Right now Adidas is my favourite brand, I love how sportswear makes it into high fashion.

“I loved Adidas’ collaborations with Raf Simons and Rick Owens. I didn’t like the one  with Jeremy Scott, though. Except for wings, of course.”

In the end of the interview we asked Victor to give our readers fashion advice.

“Clothes should be comfortable. If you are wearing six-inch heels and it hurts your legs, people around you will see it.

“Instead, wear comfortable shoes so that you are the centre of everyone’s attention, not your hurting legs.”

And it is true, especially coming from a sportswear-loving designer with high fashion-looking collection.

NYU