Unearthed remains on campus

They’re, like, human remains in there

There’s been a newly discovered burial vault on Washington Square Park East with, like, human remains in there.

Feet away from NYU buildings.

Just a ‘little’ obstruction for students on University and Waverly Place

At this point one could say Halloween has been taken a bit too far. Is this is a practical joke master minded by the City? Now, that’s a conspiracy…

But let’s get to the facts. Washington Square Park actually used to be a burial site, for those who didn’t know. It was actually used as a potter’s field for many years, that is, a public burial site.

This alone is material-a-plenty to make jokes about our university’s choice of location for a campus, no?

Construction workers on site with the Silver Centre for the College of Arts and Sciences behind

In 2008 a similar discovery was made during a soil-testing project in the Park. This leaves room for us to ask the question: will this become a pattern where NYU students must watch their step cause, hey, buried bodies…?

Dating back to the 19th century, the vault edging towards Waverly Place sparked much interest among passersby. One curious investigator said: “This is so creepy, but if you think about it, it’s kinda cool, you never know what parts of history will show up at our doorstep.”

Two girls passing by exclaimed to each other: “Ew that’s so weird!”, while the other responded “I hate to think I’m walking on a graveyard every day”.

Maybe some of you history buffs find this stuff fascinating, but for those of you (normal) humans who don’t, maybe this history of the gathering spot for Village residents and NYU students would be best kept an NYU secret that should not be mentioned on college tours.

As close as I could get to the unearthed skeletal remains

It’s no wonder that a vault eight feet deep and 20 feet long with more than a dozen human remains comes as a bit of a shock to us residents of the area, but I guess we know by now that New York City isn’t all sugar and spice and all things nice.

NYU Death NYC NYU The Tab