How to survive in the city on $5 a day

For all the broke fellas out there

Let’s face it, ever since college life began, you’ve spent all your money — whether it was hard-earned or a monthly allowance from generous and understanding parents — on shopping.

Or something illegal. Let’s not name it.

So I’m sure a disappointing account balance is something all of us are familiar with.

Thus the question to ask is “How do you survive a day in the city without spending more than $5?” (If you don’t have a meal plan obvs.)

Food is the answer, or, better yet the absence of it. You can save plenty of money just by eating cheap.

This article includes a few diet options for a broke and desperate student, so if you’re looking to cut your expenditures, keep on reading.

Option 1: $1 Pizza

This beautiful American dream come true is accessible all over town and is offered in places such as 2 Bros. Pizza on St. Mark’s Place, 99 Cent Fresh Pizza on 6th Avenue and others.

The list is quite extensive.

So if you’re a pizza person, five slices could get you through the day. Hell, you can even start telling your friends you’re trying the 5 times a day belly f(l)attening diet.

The beauty of the pizza diet is that you can decide on the portion size or just be a rebel and have all five slices at once.

Option 2: Fluids and a fruit

Drink water.

Never admit that you’re hungry.

Have one luxurious Starbucks drink a day.

And if you manage, you might even buy a fruit or two in a supermarket.

Option 3: Freeload

Almost every single ice cream or frozen yogurt store offers unlimited free samples.

Here’s the strategy my friends: Go in pretending you can’t decide on the flavor. Then try a bunch of samples and then pretend you don’t have your wallet on you. Do that several times in two-three places and you’ve got it.

This option is obviously not limited to ice cream and frozen yogurt.

Many super markets offer free samples as well, so eat your heart out. Except you’ll probably have to change your location multiple times before you’re actually full.

Another way to freeload is your friends. Go visit them because you miss them so much.

And for ladies, food dates! (if a guy is decent enough to pay for your meal).

Option 4: “Mc/Delight “

For your five bucks, you’ll be able to afford several items on the McDonald’s dollar menu. Yay!

Other super cheap eats include pushcart stands that serve falafel, kebab and other student survival foods.

Gotta love America (except I would avoid questioning the origin of the meat).

Option 5: Instant ramen

Self-explanatory.

Option 6: Healthy

Many grains such as oatmeal are quite cheap to buy.

You can stock up on that and feel all healthy and happy while you stuff yourself with oatmeal.

You are also more than welcome to add free cinnamon, chocolate or vanilla powder, as well as syrup, generously offered by Starbucks.

No, they don’t have to know you’re not buying anything from them.

*As an alternative, you can have a $5 vegetarian plate from Mamoun’s Falafel.

So this is all I’ve got for you.

But honestly get a job. If you haven’t realized that yet, I shall point it out— being broke sucks, so get your lives together.

NYU Cheap Diet Diet NYC NYU The Tab The Village