The Holy Half was cancelled but some runners still ran through the snow

‘I wasn’t about to train for so long and not run’

Due to unseasonable snow and dangerous conditions, what was supposed to be the 12th annual Holy Half Marathon was cancelled this morning with no known sign of rescheduling.

Despite the heavy snow and icy road conditions, excited runners arrived at Stepan Center as early as 7 am to register and prepare for the 9 am race. However, after a 15-minute delay, runners were informed this year’s race was cancelled.

This was disappointing news to the more than 1,500 runners who were planning to compete in the race, especially the many who had flown in from all parts of the country just to participate in the day’s events. Cheer station volunteer and junior Kendall Burgett said, “At the time, the conditions really didn’t look safe. It was a white out, and there had already been car crashes on Douglas [Road], so honestly I think it was the right call.”

Outside of Stepan Center this morning

Sophomore Garrett Schwartz agreed. “It was disappointing that the race got canceled, but I understand it. The sidewalks were wicked slippery on the walk over. It definitely wasn’t very safe out there.”

Sophomore Kiera Bader said, “I was really upset it was canceled. I’m not a great runner so I’d been nervous about it, and I’m disappointed that I won’t get to experience the Holy Half until senior year because I’ll be abroad next year.”

Although the event itself was cancelled, many brave runners decided to complete some or all of the race anyway, like junior Allison Walker.

“Even after training and the disappointment of it being cancelled, it was definitely the right call. Monica [Golbranson] and I ran a few miles for fun and were slipping all over the place. We’re hoping to get in 13 miles together anyway by the end of the semester.”

Juniors Monica Golbranson and Allison Walker

Senior Katie Irving also decided to run a few miles this morning: “Even though I had been complaining about running in the snow, I was disappointed when the Holy Half got cancelled. But then my friends and I realized we could still run on our own, and I felt very accomplished for running in the snow, even though I didn’t run the full 13.1 miles.”

Sophomore Sarah McCafferty, who was unable to run the race last year due to Achilles tendonitis and bursitis in both of her heels, refused to be stopped this year.

“It wasn’t safe to run the route that was designated. That being said, I wasn’t about to train for so long and not run. So after the announcement was made, a couple of friends and I decided to run an abbreviated course to complete the 13.1 miles. It was a blast and it felt good to say we still completed a cancelled race!”

Sarah McCafferty (middle) with Andrew Dorritie and Rachel Zavakos

Notre Dame University