Dear high school seniors: Why you should commit to Notre Dame

Here’s why your college decision should be a no-brainer

So you got the big email. You’ve probably gotten a few, because you’re mad smart.

And now comes the last few days of wrestling with your decision – should you go to Michigan (37-0, look it up), or UChicago (where fun goes to die)?

Lucky for you, ever since you got the big CONGRATS from Notre Dame, your choice has basically been made for you.

Here’s a few reasons why.

You like football? We got football. 

And even if you don’t, our football weekends are our signature. Everything stress-related on campus takes a break, the sun comes out of hiding, and it’s just generally one of the most thrilling experiences you will have here. I know people that hate watching football, but still rave over fall football Saturdays.

We came to play school.

It’s no lie – we have a renowned academic program here at Notre Dame. You will take profound classes on topics you would have never have even considered before. Your professors will be eager to get to know you and help you to grow as a person, and occasionally offer positions to help out with their award-winning research. You’ll get grants to aid your own personal research in countries you never dreamed you would get to see, on topics that fascinate you (and as a freshman, if you want).

This all doesn’t come without hard work, but after being taught by world-renowned scholars, you’ll sound so cool talking about your favorite subjects that you’ll impress yourself, and it makes the late-night study sessions worth it.

You will find your people. 

When asking students this week why they chose Notre Dame, the primary reason I received was unanimous: the sense of community here is unlike any other school in the country. Everyone is excited to be here and finds an incredible sense of pride in their school, majors, and even their dorms – there’s a reason ND apparel is basically our school uniform.

I can’t stress this enough: while I know you can’t generalize an entire student body (especially one of around 8,000 undergrad), almost everyone I have met here is incredibly accomplished, yet down-to-earth.

For some reason, Domers just tend to click with other Domers, no matter their backgrounds or upbringings – and this goes for the alumni, too. We have one of the best, if not the best alumni networks in the country. Whether it be by giving you an internship or job after graduation, or simply to chat about your experiences on campus, the alum are here to help you.

This is only the beginning of a long list of reasons you should commit to what could be the best four years of your life at the greatest school ever. I could probably blab on for another hour about how great ND is, but you’ve got a few big envelopes in front of you and plans to make.

But I will leave you with one more thing to keep in mind (as if you don’t have enough already to remember, you crazy over-achiever).

The feeling you get when you say “I go to Notre Dame” – the chills, the adrenaline rush, the huge dorky smile on your face – will never go away for the time that you’re here, and then for the rest of your life.

Notre Dame University