University’s Diversity Outreach Program celebrates 30-year-anniversary

For scholars like myself, it’s program which helps incoming students get a feel for for the Notre Dame family

As the University has increased its efforts to promote diversity and inclusion, one of its more successful programs, The Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program, has reached a milestone: 30 years.

For those that don’t know, the Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program is a program in conjunction with the First Year of Studies that strives to “provide high-achieving students who are also members of groups that have been historically underrepresented in higher education with a close-knit learning community that will give them the tools and connections they need to be at the leading edge of the arts, sciences, and humanities.”

That is the formal definition of the program. But to scholars like myself, it is a program that helps incoming students get a feel for for what it is like to be a part of the Notre Dame family.

Started in 1986 with an initial cohort of just nine students, the program allows for students to take introductory college level classes and live on campus where they take part in leadership activities as well as receive tips for mindfulness and handling the academic rigor of Notre Dame.  

For me, participating in the Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program in 2014 was my first time being on campus. I remember driving down Notre Dame Avenue towards the Dome, stepping outside and being intimidated by everything I saw. As soon as I moved into Knott Hall, I was warmly welcomed by some of my closest friends I have made during college. This was my first experience being acclimated with the Notre Dame family and I knew that I not only made the right choice in applying to the program, but on a bigger scale, I knew I made the right choice to attend Notre Dame.

In 30 years, the program has helped over 600 alumni become leaders not only during their time here at Notre Dame, but also in their respective careers. Former scholars have gone on to become lawyers, elected officials, media specialists, and engineers at top automotive companies, just to name a few.

This past weekend served as a reunion for alumni, current students, administrators, and faculty to come together and celebrate the program that binds us all together. 

A kickoff event at Legends

A networking lunch in the Morris Inn on Friday

A Ted Talk-like forum on Saturday in the Jordan Auditorium in the Mendoza College of Business

And a concluding dinner in the Jordan Galleria in the Jordan Hall of Science

The weekend brought up senses of nostalgia and pride for all of those in attendance and reminded all of us how fortunate we are to not only be a part of the Notre Dame family, but also the tight knit Balfour-Hesburgh Scholars Program family.

A program that will continue to bring in diverse, talented, and driven individuals who will not only thrive at the university for years to come, but also make a strong impact in society in all the things that they do.

The Tab graciously thanks current scholars Jenn Cha ’17 and Jean-Pierre Vertil ’16 for the use of their photos in this story.

Notre Dame University