Cheers! From around the world

We checked in with Notre Dame students around the world

It is true – there is no place like South Bend, Indiana. But what if you could go anywhere in the world for one semester, and explore a country (or even a continent) you never thought you’d visit? Would you do it?

For most students at Notre Dame, study abroad is a part of the experience. With forty-five programs in twenty-three countries, there is bound to be something for you. From the mountains of Santiago to the desert of Amman to the beaches of western Australia, Notre Dame can send you anywhere.

We checked in around the world with some of your peers to see what experiences, and what drinks, have stood out for them!

So cheers to you, and the many possibilities! Where will you decide to go?

Katie Paige, Santiago, Chile, Universidad Católica

Drink: Pisco Sour. It’s a very typical Chilean drink, which mainly consists of pisco (a type of hard liquor), lemon, and egg whites

Cost: Approx $5 for the entire bottle

“I would have to say that my favorite memory was one of the hikes we did in the Spanish immersion preprogram in the rural mountains.

“When we reached the summit and saw the unbelievably gorgeous view of the mountains, I couldn’t help but tear up. The entire experience has been surreal; from the improvements in my Spanish to the cariño (caring/loving) of the Chilean people, I truly couldn’t be happier!”

Abbey Rhode-Pausina, Amman, Jordan, Princess Sumaya University of Technology

Picture taken on Spring Break visit to Dublin

Drink: beer/Guinness

Cost: €4

“My Jordanian little brother in my homestay is just as much of a terror as my little brother at home! We’re not so different after all.”

Clare Meland, Dublin, Ireland, Trinity College Dublin

Drink: beer

Cost: €5

Favorite memory: getting lost biking on the Aran Islands

Emily Campbell, Rome, Italy, John Cabot University

Drink: Chocolate shot. The shot glass is a chocolate shell that they fill with flavored rum or vodka and you eat it to take the shot.

Cost: €5

“My favorite memory abroad so far was climbing to the top of the Duomo in Florence. It was such a surreal experience to be literally on top of the world, realizing how absolutely blessed I am to be living, eating, and learning in the most incredible country with the most interesting culture in the world. Italy never seizes to amaze me with its beauty.”

Thomas Karam, Athens, Greece

Picture taken in Delphi, Greece

Drink: beer

Cost: €3

“My favorite experience so far has been learning to sculpt marble on my Tuesday nights.”

Meghan Maraghy, Fremantle, Western Australia, University of Notre Dame Australia

Drink: Little Creatures Pipsqueak Apple Cider

Cost: Approx 10 Australia dollars

“I’m in love with the lifestyle here, it’s so laid back and the weather is beautiful. I love going out with the rest of the girls and exploring different beaches and islands!”

Kathryn Cotter, Toledo, Spain, Fundación Ortega-Marañón

Drink: Tinto de Verano (red wine+fanta limon, basically poor man’s sangria and a local Spanish favorite)

Price: €2

“I love living with my host family!  It’s been really interesting to see what day-to-day life is like for Spaniards and completely immerse myself in the culture.  I also immediately felt at home- my host mom even threw me a 21st birthday party with her extended family, which was so much fun.  I’m going to miss them all when I have to go back to the states!”

Alexa Fedynsky, Angers, France

Drink: beer

Cost: approx. €4

“My favorite memory has been renting absurdly heavy bikes in Paris with my French, Irish, and American friends. We biked over the bridges of Paris on the first sunny day of the season, and then stopped in the Jardin de Tuilleries to eat a pain au chocolat and discussing life.”

Notre Dame University