We talked to track star Molly Seidel, national running champion

The Fighting Irish runner just added 2 more NCAA titles to her name

She’s started the track team at her high school, she’s won more titles than anyone in Notre Dame track history, and she just won the NCAA title in the 5000m and 3000m races in Birmingham last week.

The Tab sat down with Molly Seidel to talk about her accomplishments, her biggest fan, and what she’s doing when she’s not smoking other teams on the track.

How did you get into running?

Basically, I was pretty active growing up, but I never really played organized sports. I would run with my dad sometimes, and I loved the feeling. I ended up running in gym class regularly, and in fifth grade, I broke the school record for the mile.

I kept pestering my mom to get more involved in running, and she couldn’t understand why the hell I would want to spend my time running in circles, but I kept at it.

My high school was really small – we had a graduating class of thirteen. We didn’t have a track team so I started one. It was just me and my coach for a while, and then when my brother and sister came to high school they joined. It’s been really fun to see it grow over time.

I think that since I wasn’t running from the age of five, that I came to it later in life and my parents didn’t push it on me, that’s why I’ve been able to develop an enduring love for it.

This past week in Birmingham, you won the NCAA titles for the 5000m and the 3000m races. Is either one more significant to you than the other?

The 5k is more in my wheelhouse, and the 3k is shorter than I usually run, but I don’t think I could say that one was more significant than the other. It was an exciting weekend.

You already have more titles than anyone in the history of the Notre Dame track program, so winning is not something new to you. How did it feel to win these particular races?

It was definitely exciting. It’s always very cool to be able to realize a dream that you’ve had for so long, something you’ve been working for all season. I have a lot to work for still, and this weekend made me that much more excited for the upcoming outdoor season.

I appreciate how special these races were, but I have to move on quickly and realize that I can’t just rest on my laurels. I have to keep my nose to the grindstone.

How does your team support you?

This team is incredible. I’ve found a lot of strength through my team, especially in my first few years. My teammates have always helped push me and realize that things would get better when it was tough. I’m so happy to be able to share that with all the girls on the team.

There were nine Notre Dame athletes at the tournament and they all came away with All-American statuses. It’s exciting to see everyone succeed at this high level. I’m so proud of all of the hard work these women have put in.

What are the team’s goals going forward?

We just missed the ACC title for indoors. With that in mind, we have an enormous fire under our butts to go after the outdoor title. The ACC title is definitely the biggest team goal.

We have some girls coming back from injuries who will be a huge help, and a lot of people are really excited to get out there.

What is it like to compete for ND?

I’ve always said that one of the greatest things is the feeling of knowing that you’re competing for something bigger than yourself. Our coaches really stress that and say that when we go out there in the Notre Dame uniform, with the monogram on our chests, we need to race with pride and race with respect.

It’s been an honor to run for the Irish for the past four years. It’s such a cool experience to race knowing the history of the school and to know that you have the whole Irish nation behind you.

Who is your biggest fan?

Probably my mom, even though she knows nothing about track. She couldn’t even tell you my fastest mile time. But she’s at every race, screaming and cheering. I could have my worst race and she would still be there, waving her flag and going ballistic. It’s kind of frustrating sometimes and I’ll explain to her that just did badly, and she says, “I don’t care, it’s just fun to watch!” But it’s really special to be able to share this with my parents. It’s pretty fun.

What dorm did you live in on campus?

Freshman year I hopped around a little bit, but then I was in Welsh Fam for the rest of my time on campus. Now I live off campus in the Banana Bungalow.

North or South?

South Dining Hall, for sure. There’s no question. We have training tables in North, so I guess it’s good for that, but nothing else.

What’s your favorite way to unwind?

I love hiking. I’m notorious for going off without letting other people know where I am and just going on solo backpacking trips. Last year after Nationals, I took off to go hiking in Michigan and no one knew where I was. In general, I just love getting outdoors.

I’m also really into drinking and brewing tea. I nerd out over different kinds of tea. Right now, I’m really into greens, specifically Genmaicha, which is green tea combined with roasted brown rice, and Matcha, which is powdered green tea, and preparing it is really meditative for me. Sometimes I think I might be an 80-year-old trapped in a 21-year-old’s body.

What’s your future in running?

I technically have another year of eligibility for indoor and outdoor track. It’s up in the air if I’ll use it, but if I do compete in NCAAs, it will be for Notre Dame, not for any other school.

Right now, we’re taking it one day at a time. We’ll see how outdoor season season progresses. This summer, I’ll be in Eugene, Oregon for the the Olympic Trial qualifier for the 5k, and I’m also working on getting the 10k.

It’s always been my dream to run after college for as long as I can remember. That’s my biggest goal. To be able to have that opportunity would be incredible.

Notre Dame University