We talked to some Katies who go to Notre Dame

Katies are people, too

One of the lesser- appreciated problems which pervades this campus is a phenomenon I like to call “The Plight of the Katies.”

We all know at least twelve Katies, because they are everywhere you look on our campus – unsurprising given the demographics. But you’d probably be wrong to assume they are all from just outside Chicago, like Pumpkin Spice Lattes, and spend hours trying to come up with a cheesy yet just cute enough caption for their Spring Break beach pic.

Contrary to popular belief, each anonymous Katie of Yik Yak fame is a unique human being with their own thoughts, feelings, hopes and dreams.

In an attempt to shed some light on this issue which has been suspiciously silenced and pushed under the carpet by Fr. Jenkins, I interviewed several such Katies to get their opinions on their place within the Notre Dame community and how being a Notre Dame Katie influences their life experiences.

Katherine Hearn, Sophomore, PLS and French (Farley)

What is one thing people might not expect from you as a member of the Notre Dame Katie family?

Have never and never plan on drinking a Pumpkin Spice Latte from Starbucks. I realize that this is a grave violation of being #basic

What is it like being a Katie who goes to Notre Dame?

People are not kidding when they say that half of girls on this campus are named Katie. I am constantly torn between turning my head every time someone says “my” name or just ignoring them until/if they say it again. Also, everyone automatically assumes that I am from Chicago (not kidding).

What’s your greatest achievement as a Katie?

I don’t know if this is an accomplishment, but if you pronounce my name incorrectly it sounds like the main character from Mean Girls.

Do you have any role model Katies?

Katie Davis has been a role model of mine for a long time – she is a missionary in Uganda who essentially gave up having a normal college life in order to better the lives of young Ugandan girls.  I admire her bravery and absolute trust in God’s plan for her.

Katherine Smith, Freshman, Business Management and Peace Studies (Farley Hall)

Tell me a little bit about yourself. 

My name is not only Katie, but I grew up in Chicago. Also, my last name is Smith. I’m seriously the most normal person ever.

I didn’t know that I was like most of Notre Dame until welcome weekend when I was asked, “HAVE YOU HEARD THE KATIE FROM CHICAGO SONG?” multiple times.

Something that kinda sets me apart is that my family lives in Kenya, we moved there six years ago. I usually try to throw that out there during a conversation so I don’t automatically get written off as the “most basic girl I know.”

One thing people might not expect from a Katie?

I really love UFC. It’s one of my favorite things to watch, especially as a study break from school.

What is it like to be a Katie who goes to Notre Dame? Do you feel oppressed?

Honestly, I feel like I get more attention because I’m in the majority than I would if my name were Ophilia or something. People do tend to put me in the “Starbucks, Uggs, leggings, North Face, iPhone,” box, but then again, all of that is true so….

How do you feel about being named Katie?

I genuinely like being named Katie. I spent six years living in Kenya and never came upon another Katie, and so it’s fun to bond with people at Notre Dame over the “you’re Katie, too? Dude it’s the worst, we are all the same” fact.

Have you ever had a good nickname?

“Katie from Africa” – it sucks, I know. But it’s also true. I literally am Cady from Mean Girls.

Katie Eilert, Sophomore, Marketing and Poverty Studies (Cavanaugh)

Hometown: Kansas City (go Royals)

What’s one thing about you that people might not expect from a Katie?

Contrary to popular belief, I am not from the suburbs of Chicago.  I also do not own bean boots, nor have I instagrammed a football push-up pic… yet. I have instagrammed the Dome, but I didn’t hashtag #lovethee so I don’t think that counts.

Probably my biggest secret as a Katie is… drumroll please… my name isn’t actually Katie.

It’s Mary Kathryn. I’m sorry, I promise I’m not as much of a poser as it seems.

What’s it like to be a Katie who goes to Notre Dame? Do you feel oppressed? #KatiesArePeopleToo

Instead of feeling oppressed, it makes me feel pretty empowered being part of such a strong, independent, and really well-named group of women. And I have to say, I’ve never met another Katie I didn’t like. #YesAllKaties

Probably running into the guy who wrote the “Dear Katie” Revue skit and telling him that my name was Katie, although he wasn’t nearly as excited about the connection as I was. Weird.

If you had to choose a well-known Katie as a role model, who would it be?

Probably Cady Heron from Mean Girls! She’s Lindsay Lohan at her prime, when she was still young and relatable and not locked up in jail. She’s also a trendsetter and can wear army pants and flip flops in public without killing her social reputation, so I respect that. I’m also working in Africa this summer, so clearly Cady Heron has a major influence on my life choices.

Katherine Pisarek, Junior, ACMS and Psychology (Ryan)

I’m not Irish and I’m an only child!

What’s it like to be a Katie who goes to Notre Dame? Do you feel oppressed?

I can just feel the eye roll whenever I meet someone new and introduce myself as a Katie.  But I feel for people because I always think I have to be the 50th Katie they’ve met this week.  I’ve resorted to asking people to call me by my nickname KP so I don’t get lost in the sea of Katies. #KatieLivesMatter (also don’t forget about the boys #MattsArePeopleToo)

How do you feel about being a Katie?  If you could have another name what would it be?

I love it!  I would like to try being a Mary Kate to see if they get the same reaction and reputation the Katies get.

Being one of the only Katies at Notre Dame not from Chicago!

If you had to choose a well-known Katie role model who would it be?

KT Tunstall because that’s the only other acceptable way to spell Katie (sorry to all the Katy/Caity/Catie’s out there)

Kaitlyn Sedor, Sophomore, Neuroscience and Behavior (BP)

Tell me a little bit about yourself. 

I’m from the far south suburbs of Chicago. Emphasis on the south part since the northerners outnumber us by so much, and I know, Katie from Chicago…

What’s one thing about you that people might not expect from a Kaitlyn?

I enjoy occasionally playing pick-up basketball at Rolf’s, and yes, I’d love to discuss who I have in my Final Four this year or who I think the upcoming season’s Heisman candidates are. On the other hand, I can also tell you about who my Dream Team on this season of the Bachelor is, which I suppose is something expected of a Katie. #TeamJojo

What’s it like to be a Kaitlyn who goes to Notre Dame? Do you feel oppressed?

#FreeKatie. At Notre Dame, the name Katie immediately brings to mind the “basic white girl” stereotype. For example most would assume that Katie came to ND from a private Catholic school in the northern Chicago suburbs somewhere. She can usually be seen sporting her black Northface, leggings, and Bean boots to meet up with her friends, Megan and Claire, at Starbucks every afternoon where they’ll sip coffee and talk about taking advantage of the great sale on Patagonia fleeces this weekend.
I feel like everyone gets caught in this stereotype so easily, but it’s unfair to the Katies of the world. It isn’t their fault that everybody’s mom chose names for their daughters that could use Katie as a nickname.

Katie isn’t an idea, she’s a person who has just as many hidden quirks as you.  Each Katie has those little things, just like everyone else, that make her different, even if she does look like she raided Han Solo’s wardrobe for her outfit today.

How do you feel about being named Kaitlyn? If you could have another name, what would it be?

Fun fact: My grandpa couldn’t spell it for the first, maybe 3 or 4 years of my life because there’s a million and one ways to spell Kaitlyn. Do you use a C or a K? An I or a Y? That’s one or two vowels before the T? Oh you have an E in there as well! What was that? Did you say Q? It’s honestly crazy.

*

As the tender and loving community that we clearly are, we must continue to encourage the conversation on the topic . It is no longer acceptable to stereotype all Katies as basic white girls who come from the same place, have the same backgrounds, and are headed for the same future.

Give every Katie you meet a chance to show her unique identity as a rich, interesting individual who has lots to offer the world, and make a Katie’s day.

Notre Dame University