Regional fashion as told by the ladies of Notre Dame

Who, what, wear?

One of the beautiful things about Notre Dame is that (despite the enormous Chicago contingent) we get to meet students from a far wider variety of places than we normally would have had we chosen to attend our home state school. People from every cardinal direction all come together to inhabit one new home under the Dome.

However, if you look past the uniforms of ND spirit wear, students definitely find a way to keep their hometown spirit alive here in Indiana. Once you’ve been here long enough, it’s easy to notice certain geographical patterns emerging in the way people dress. Regional differences in trends and apparel say a lot about the lifestyle of the area, and it’s cool to note the small ways in which people remember where they came from.

I spoke to a few young women from three of the most represented in regions here at Notre Dame: the Midwest, the East Coast, and the South. I asked them which elements of their hometown style they brought with them to Notre Dame, and then asked them to show me the most “stereotypical” thing they have in their college closets.

Andréa Savage, Sophomore, Visual Communication Design

Minneapolis, Minnesota

How would you describe Minnesotan style?

“Most Minnesotans dress really casually, very hipster. It totally fits the lifestyle of Minnesota, which is very relaxed, but still stylish. It’s super focused on comfiness. Everyone wears tons of American Apparel, for example. Boys either wear khakis and a polo or, like, soccer pants and sweats.”

Caitiff McAuliffe, Sophomore, Program of Liberal Studies

Central Connecticut

Do you think the East Coasters here dress a certain way?

“Yes, I think they all dress pretty preppy…and if it’s not preppy, then they dress like they’re from New York City, which is very urban. But mostly it’s preppy, Vineyard Vines and that sort of thing. I know a lot of people dress like that here, but a lot of those brands originated on the East Coast.

Roslyn Joseph, Freshman, Science-Business

Augusta, Georgia

Do you think that southerners have a certain style, and has it carried over to the way you dress here?

“Oh, absolutely. BIG T-SHIRTS! And, y’know, like boutique-y fashion? That’s not as big here, but it’s huge where I’m from. Right now the trends are piko tops, fur vests, and long necklaces.”

Marisa Ulrich, Sophomore, Science-Business

And…not to be left out…there’s Wisconsin.

Notre Dame University