Sophomore Brianna Turner named ACC Player of the Year

The basketball forward led Fighting Irish to victory in the ACC tournament

After going 31-1 in the regular season, the #2 Notre Dame women’s basketball team beat #17 Syracuse 68-57 on Sunday, making the Notre Dame ACC champions for the third year in a row. (The Irish took home the title in 2014 by beating Duke and again in 2015 after overcoming Florida State.)

In addition to this huge win, sophomore forward Brianna Turner was named ACC Player of the Year, an award voted on by the ACC head coaches.

Against Syracuse, Turner displayed her skill and tenacity with 18 points and 11 rebounds. As accomplished as Turner is at this point, we can expect to see more from her as she “has only scratched the surface of her potential.”

Turner was backed up by a team that won several other accolades.

Five of the Fighting Irish were named All-ACC: Brianna Turner, Madison Cable, Lindsay Allen, Marina Mabrey, and Arike Ogunbowale.

Madison Cable was named tournament MVP and scored 18 points against Syracuse, pushing her career total points over 1000.

Coach Muffet McGraw won ACC Coach of the Year for the second time, the first being in 2014.

Congratulations to the Fighting Irish on an incredible win and good luck in the NCAA tournament.

Notre Dame University