Notre Dame should have observed Martin Luther King Day

Two hours off isn’t enough time for reflection

It is no secret that the University of Notre Dame works to promote diversity and inclusion.

The “Walk the Walk Week” sought to remind students of the values Martin Luther King Jr. tirelessly promoted, with events such as a prayer service in the main building at midnight followed by a march around campus, films like Selma, which illustrate the racial tensions inherent in Martin Luther King’s time period, and even a visit from the leaders of the #BlackLivesMatter movement.

Though these incredible events encourage students to talk about diversity and inclusion, challenge what we already know, and inspire us to find ways to end inequalities and biases that are still present in our society, the university’s message was lost when it only gave a two hour “lunch break” to observe Martin Luther King Junior Day.

Trust me, I enjoy a day off as much as any other student.

Nothing compares to that feeling when your professor emails you, out nowhere, saying that class is canceled. The university should have cancelled classes, not so students could spend a whole day lounging in bed, but instead to recognize the gravity of the day in this nation’s history.

The purpose of the break was undermined in several different ways. First, though all classes were cancelled midday, some students were required to attend different sections of that class at either later or earlier times in the day. So, I offer my condolences to those who didn’t even have the right to truly enjoy the luxury of a cancelled class.

Images from the midnight march and prayer service

During this two-hour period of cancelled classes, the university hosted “community building lunches” at the dining hall. Essentially, this was your average dining hall lunch, with slightly better food that was labeled with decorative paper. Probably, the only community that was built was over the frustration of ridiculously long lunch lines and nowhere to sit.

There was also the option to attend the Martin Luther King Junior Celebration Luncheon. This luncheon featured a prayer service, food, and a panel composed of faculty, students, and the university’s first African American valedictorian, addressing the pressing issues of race.  I don’t doubt that this luncheon was thought-provoking and intriguing.

However, I struggle with the idea that after profound speakers and prayer services like this, people can be expected to get back in the swing of their normal routine by returning to the world of academia and work. There is no time to process what we just learned. By immediately returning to our daily routine, we are downplaying the significance of this day.

Martin Luther King Junior Day is a national holiday. Schools, from preschools to universities, observe Martin Luther King day. Government offices are closed as well.

I applaud the university’s efforts with the Walk the Walk week from the prayer services to the very interesting speakers. This week has tons of potential in the future to continue to cultivate the minds of students and faculty across campus.

However, does the University have the right to say that it’s above a national holiday?

Notre Dame University