What your major says about you

I still think Forestry majors play with squirrels

NC State prides itself on the diversity of majors and minors offered to its students. Originally, it started as a college of agriculture and mechanical arts, but now we’ve got a little bit of everything.

Each career path normally attracts a certain group of people. Sometimes you can tell a person’s major just by the way they carry themselves.

Engineering majors

They basically run the place. You can tell who they are because of the permanent bags under their eyes and the self hatred that radiates from their souls. You can hear them mumbling about Statistics and Thermo and all the other classes they have to take that are way over most people’s heads. They may not be social butterflies, but their intelligence makes up for it.

Forestry majors

I like to think they spend most of their time playing with squirrels. But really, they have to memorize like 30 types of trees per week in a dendrology class and that sounds like hell if you ask me.

CNR majors

So you’re in the College of Natural Resources? Does that mean you tried engineering and gave up? I’d rather spend my time splashing in a stream, too, tbh.

Design majors

It’s really hard to say something sarcastic about these people. It covers an extremely broad range of creative majors, but you really have to applaud those that finish with an architecture degree. They can be found with a sketchbook in hand at any time.

COM majors

The student directory is useful for finding out what athletes are majoring in. Pick a student athlete and search for them. Odds are they are a communications major. It’s common to run into them around Caldwell because their classes are in that area. Maybe there’s other people in this field, but they aren’t as exciting.

SOC/CHASS majors

Humanities and Social Sciences includes many majors like psychology, sociology, criminology and English. These students get the reputation of being lazy because they have their own math classes for right-brained people, but honestly it takes a special kind of determination to sit through readings of “The Sociological Imagination” at the beginning of every class you ever take. Pure torture.

Sports Management majors

I swear half of the males at this school are going into this field. But really, is ESPN going to hire that many ex-frat boys to talk about sports? Google one of these guys and you’re sure to find a picture of them at a football game with their chests painted. Do it, I dare you.

But, that doesn’t mean you should let your major define you. Of course, everyone is unique and uses their degrees to do all kinds of great things after graduation. Go make the Wolfpack proud of your accomplishments.

North Carolina State University