‘Trump is misogynistic, ignorant, and misinformed’

Hillary supporters respond to Trump’s Alicia Machado comments

While many now realize sex really doesn’t really affect that much (except in NC bathrooms), the fact that a woman has now been nominated by a major party for president makes the discussion even more relevant.

But the chance of a woman occupying the Oval Office isn’t the only reason female voters have sided with Hillary Clinton.

During Monday night’s presidential debate Clinton mentioned an example of the Trump shaming and mistreating a woman who many of us weren’t aware about.

1996 Miss Universe winner Alicia Machado from Venezuela was referred to as “Miss Housekeeping” and “Miss Piggy” by Trump after gaining some weight following the pageant.

Today while visiting East Carolina University, I asked some of the female students what they thought of these comments.

Lisa

“It just confirms he’s misogynistic, ignorant, and misinformed,” ECU Anthropology major Lisa Sawyer told me. “All his opinions are straight from the 50s.”

The GOP nominee seemed surprised that Clinton mentioned the incident during the debate, but later confirmed the story on Fox and Friends, saying: “She was the winner and you know, she gained a massive amount of weight and it was a real problem.”

He added: “Not only that, her attitude, and we had a real problem with her, so Hillary went back into the years and she found this girl – this was many years ago. And found the girl and talked about her like she was Mother Theresa. It wasn’t quite that way but that’s OK. Hillary has to do what she has to do.”

“Wow he really said that?” said 24-year-old Christina Smith after hearing the story. “You should never talk about a woman’s weight at all, I can’t imagine how the lady felt!”

After the debate Machado emotionally thanked Clinton for spreading her story. “Well, last night I was with my family, with my mom and with my daughter, we were watching the debate and you know, I was really surprised,” she told Clinton campaign reporters in Spanish, her native language.

“I started crying. I started crying because I never imagined that such an important person like her would care about my story, know about my story.”

North Carolina State University