Why I decided to take a break from Instagram

I needed to remind myself of what really matters in life

OK, so here’s my Instagram. Decent amount of followers, decent amount of pictures. My follow to follower ratio kinda sucks cause I follow most people back (#teamfollowback?), but whatever.

I can sometimes rack up a decent amount of likes, but I still have no idea how to take a “good selfie.” What exactly does it take? Besides all that, I’m sure you’re wondering “what made her want to take a break from Instagram?” So I’ll tell you.

Don’t get me wrong, Instagram is honestly a cool app. It’s neat because it captures someone’s favorite moments in photos. Their favorite pictures of themselves, their friends and family and other snapshots of things that make them happy.

We can all share in the joy our friends feel because we get to see what they’re up to and how they’ve changed. We can even show that we “like” it. But I think there’s a right and a wrong way to use the app.

I found myself starting to compare myself to others. I’d think “wow, she’s perfect” or “she has so many more likes than I could ever get.” Stupid thoughts like this would consume me as I scrolled through my feed. I would waste precious time that I could spend doing homework or studying (or procrastinating).

But I was honestly just becoming jealous of others, and that’s really not me. I’m not the type to normally care about such small things in comparison to other things. I think what came over me was exactly the opposite of what the app was created for. I think Instagram is a place where you’re supposed to post your favorite pictures regardless of what others think.

I think there’s a certain mindset that comes along with the responsibility of having and viewing social media, and I was seriously lacking it. People have different sites for various reasons: to vent, tell their friends and family how they’re doing, be funny and so many other things. The list goes on.

We need to remember that people shouldn’t be judged simply by their posts, and that’s what I was totally missing. Even if someone looks great in their latest picture, or posts a status saying everything is great, that isn’t always the case. They may not feel comfortable opening up on social media, or they may not think it is the right place for them to share their feelings.

I put a picture on Instagram of my face after my wisdom teeth surgery. I leave it there because I think it’s funny.

So, what has my break from Instagram taught me? To ask my friends how they’re doing in real life and have conversations with them. Of course, my friends show me posts I’m missing out on and they fill me in on their lives, but now I feel like I approach these sites with a new mindset.

Social media is just a small part of our overall image, not a sole factor to be judged upon. I’m sure I’ll get Instagram back at some point (and I kind of had to in order to take screenshots for this…oops), but I’m glad I can go into it this time around with a new mindset. I’ll scroll down my feed and be happy for everyone while reminding myself to ask them how they’re doing in real life, too.

Sometimes it takes a wake-up call to remind yourself of this, and it really did for me. Comparing yourself to others gets you nowhere. Focusing on positivity, being happy for others and aiming to be a better person will get you exactly where you want to be.

North Carolina State University