The worst parts about driving on NC State’s campus

Cars have turn signals for a reason

I recently worked up the courage to bring my car to campus. I’ve never been in a wreck (knock on wood) and seeing the way people drive in Raleigh, I didn’t want to risk having my first one away from home in a big city.

Since I finally brought my precious car to campus, I’ve discovered the many deathtraps on the roads that State students drive daily.

The roundabouts

Located on Pullen and Katherine Stinson Drive, roundabouts are designed to make traffic flow easier and safer. But lots of people don’t understand how they’re supposed to work. Whoever arrives first, goes first. YIELD, people. The only time you don’t have to yield is when there are no other cars in the roundabout.

Cates to Morrill

If you’re coming from Cates Avenue and want to go straight onto Morrill Drive, you better pray there isn’t a bus beside you trying to turn left. The lane to go straight (which seems like a right turn) is extremely narrow – there’s no way it is the width of most turning lanes.

You have to choose between riding up on the curb or waiting for the bus to turn. Add some pedestrians trying to cross the street and you have the recipe for a disaster.

Nazareth Drive

If you frequent Centennial campus, you may use the shortcut from Western Boulevard. You turn onto Nazareth Drive and then have to make a left turn onto Centennial Parkway (beside the new cathedral). This left turn forces you to cut into oncoming traffic without the help of a stoplight. Just close your eyes, floor it and hope there’s not a car about to t-bone you.

Hillsborough

We can’t forget good ol’ Hillsborough, one of the busiest streets in Raleigh. Whose bright idea was it to put parallel parking spots on this road? In order to park like this, you have to stop traffic. But traffic on this road never stops.

You risk someone rear ending your car if you stop to back into a parallel spot. If you’re lucky enough to actually park, then you have to worry about opening the door without someone taking it clean off the hinges.

Western Boulevard as a whole sucks

There is always a traffic jam and people tend to forget everything they learned in Driver’s Ed. There’s always a few cars playing really loud, distracting music, and a few more changing lanes without signaling. And there’s ALWAYS reckless students who run across the road, daring you to hit them.

We’ll take this opportunity to remind you to put the phone down and pay attention to the road. Raleigh is a busy city that requires drivers be alert at all times.

Stay safe out there, Pack.

North Carolina State University