Why I love going to a huge school

I have 34,000 classmates, and I love it

People choose colleges for a variety of reasons: scholarships, degree programs, Greek life, how far it is from home… the list goes on.

But when people ask me, “why NC State?” I have a weird answer: it’s big.

There was nothing like the rush of going to my first crazy tailgate and game at the packed Carter-Finley Stadium, cheering on the football team and getting rained on. I’ve had classes with 200 other kids in an auditorium, and it’s actually somehow fun (besides that kid who comes in late and crawls over everyone just to sit in the middle of the row, ugh).

I’ve gotten to experience my school with tons of kids who love it just like I do, and it’s because of all it has to offer. So what’s to love about State?

We love our sports

As far State goes, you never know how we’re going to do…and that’s what makes it fun! We have the term “pulling a State” when we’re winning and give up a big lead — oops. We’re skilled in yelling at ACC refs (because they suck!). We’ve pulled off upsets, and sometimes we lose when we’re expected to win… But at the end of the day, we know how to have a good time!

There’s always something going on

Tailgating, parties, waiting in line for the Carolina game, long nights in D.H. Hill library (aka “D.H. Thrill,”) downtown, hanging in dorms, Greek Life, clubs and organizations — and 34,000 students to experience it with. Need I say more? Also, R.I.P. to McDaid’s and Sushi Nine… Gone but definitely not forgotten.

Our campus is cool

NC State’s campus is unique. You can take a picture sitting on the wolves, or in the free expression tunnel after spray-painting something. And where else do you see brick everywhere you go? Buildings, walkways… bricks are literally everywhere. You trip on plenty during your time here, and you eventually just embrace it. I got so excited that someone painted J. Cole in the free expression tunnel that I closed my eyes in awe (or maybe I just blinked at the wrong time, you decide).

We “think and do”

That’s our motto! Although we may say it sarcastically to our friends when we do semi-intelligent things (“think and do, how genius”) we’re honestly really smart. NC State students are notoriously innovative. We even had a kid represent our school on Jeopardy’s college edition. If that’s not smart, what is?

We have awesome traditions

You get up one morning and run 2.5 miles (I would never do this)… to Krispy Kreme (ok, maybe I would). You try your best to eat 12 donuts, and then you run 2.5 miles back to the Belltower. You might end up running with a box of 6 donuts in one hand, and your Nalgene in the other like my friend Dorian, but at least he didn’t throw up (AND he saved the donuts). The Krispy Kreme Challenge — NC State students do it, and NC State students came up with it! It’s tradition, and it’s all to benefit The North Carolina Children’s Hospital.

We are the Wolfpack

We all know how to throw our wolves up proudly, and at the end of games we put our arms around our neighbors and come together to sing (or pretend because the words are kinda hard) our alma mater. We may be a big school, but we have a bond. We are the Wolfpack, and all State students are members of our family. We’re the red and white from State, and we definitely know we are the best! (P.S. Go To Hell Carolina.)

North Carolina State University