I always knew I would go into the medical field

You’re never ‘too young’ to figure out who you want to be

I found my passion for the career I want to pursue when I was still in high school. I started taking health and medical classes my junior year, and that’s when I knew I wanted to pursue a career in the medical field.

During my senior year, I was part of the very first EMT program at my high school. It was taught by the most amazing teacher who really changed the way I feel about the medical field and made everything about the experience unforgettable. I knew right then I wanted to pursue a career in medicine. My teacher gave me the drive to apply to college with the intent to pursue my newfound passion.

I encountered obstacles along the way, and though my journey has just begun, the obstacles will remain until my destination has been reached. There have been people in my life who didn’t believe I could achieve the things I have, but there have also been people who have never left my side.

Though you may encounter a few snide remarks from people who think you’re “too young” to have it all figured out, don’t let them persuade you to change your mind. Here are some things to keep in mind if you, like me, are pursuing a passion you discovered at a young age.

Others’ doubts shouldn’t phase you

If you find your passion at a young age, inevitably, people will doubt you and say things like: “You still have a lot of time to figure out your passion.” So many people will argue that the younger you doesn’t know what the older you will want, but no one can decide you can’t do something except you.

With persistence, hard work and drive, you can overcome the negative thoughts of others. Also, never forget the people who never stopped believing for a second that you can do anything (thanks Mom and Dad).

…and don’t doubt yourself, either

Having constant negativity around you can cause you to feel like you may be making the wrong decision. The end of high school and beginning of college is a very eye-opening time. When a person finds their passion before the end of high school, people often claim college will change their mind, and that can lead to self-doubt.

I found myself doubting my abilities when the people I relied on most for support didn’t seem to think I was old enough or capable enough to reach the goals I had set at a young age.

Your friends may not share your passion, but that’s OK

One thing that can be extremely difficult is constantly feeling like you’re irritating or bothering your peers with your frequent references to your passion (and making jokes they may not understand). I know firsthand that very few people find a lot of humor in medical jokes – they don’t think I’m very humerus.

You might have to suffer through ‘boring’ classes

When you’ve found something you are endlessly passionate about, it can be difficult to start from the bottom and work your way back up into the area that you found your real passion. Although I knew in high school what I wanted to do, when I got to college I had to start at the bottom with introductory classes and broad subjects that just don’t grab my attention quite as well as more specific classes like Anatomy, Physiology and Medical Terminology.

If you want to succeed, you will

When you are passionate about something, it is so easy to find joy in what you love. But when other people get you down, it can feel difficult to push forward to make your dream a reality. But when you truly love something, you always find a way to pursue the greatness that is within you.

Become a doctor, become a lawyer, go to college, get married – whatever drives you to be a better person and lights a fire within you is a passion that no one should ever stop. No one can extinguish your passion except for you, so get out there and live the life you have always dreamed of.

North Carolina State University