Hate speech scrawled on dorm room name tags

Imagine waking up to find that someone you presumably live just down the hall from, has scribbled the n-word on your dorm room name tag

It's the third week of school, and if you're a freshman, you're probably finally settling into your dorm and becoming friends with your floor-mates. You don't feel homesick anymore, but you are feeling the hangovers. We've all been there, right?

What everyone hasn't been there for is waking up to find that someone you presumably live just down the hall from, has scribbled the n-word on your dorm room name tag.

That is what happened to three black students living in West Quad.

The Michigan Daily reported that sophomore LSA student, Travon Stearns, said he saw the slur on his way back from the dining hall and posted a picture on twitter. His roommate's name tag was also vandalized.

Stearns is part of the Michigan Community Scholars program and told the Daily that he was surprised because the MCSP is meant to be one of the most inclusive places at UMich.

Stearns met with DPSS on Sunday and President Schlissel tweeted a response to the incident as well.

Despite the incident, Stearns said that he does appreciate the response the university has given to this.

UMich students thought the incident is "very not okay." When Daniel Zingerman, a UMich student, posted a photo of the racial slurs to a Facebook group called "UMich Memes for Wolverteens", people responded with outrage.

This is a developing story.

University of Michigan