Umich refuses to release students’ immigration statuses

“Campus police will not partner with federal, state, or other local law enforcement agencies to enforce federal immigration law except when required to do so by law.”

Following President Trump’s executive order banning entry into the US indefinitely for citizens from several terror-prone countries for 90 days, and Syria indefinitely, the university has released a major statement about the ban.

On Saturday, the University outlined their policy of non-discrimination, saying “The University of Michigan welcomes and supports students without regard to their immigration status. We will continue to admit students in a manner consistent with our non-discrimination policy.”

The statement continues, “In accordance with federal law, the enforcement of immigration law rests with Immigration and Customs Enforcement and Customs and Border Protection. Campus police will not partner with federal, state, or other local law enforcement agencies to enforce federal immigration law except when required to do so by law.”

The university concluded the statement by restating its policy of offering the best possible education to students regardless of their immigration students, including offering in-state scholarships to undocumented students who “meet certain conditions.”

The university also said that they are “working to understand” the implications of the executive order and how it will affect international students, and that they support the BRIDGE Act, which allows for a minimum time period for people who entered the US as children to remain in the country without the threat of deportation.

University of Michigan