High school seniors, here’s why you should commit to UMich

For the Wolverine within each and every one of you

With college decision day rapidly approaching, seniors everywhere are frantically sitting down to think about their impending choice. And when the final acceptance and rejection letters come out, that decision will have to be made. But to make everyone’s lives a little easier, there exists the University of Michigan. There are a million and one reasons why everyone in the world should want to be a Michigan Wolverine, but I have class in thirty minutes, so here are the top 10.

The colors

The University of Michigan’s colors, maize and blue, are an unbelievably good duo. Vibrant maize and cool blue — there’s no question they’ll look good on you (yeah, I’m looking at you, skeptical redhead). Students rep their colors on a daily basis, sporting hats and tee shirts to class, to the gym, and even on dates! (Probably.) And when the student body congregates at a tailgate on game day, the sea of maize and blue is so pretty, you’ll want to jump right in.

The weather

Contrary to popular belief, the cold climate in Ann Arbor is one to commit for. Comfy sweaters, casual leggings, and warm socks are worn on the reg, and it makes for the perfect snuggle weather. Snow darties pair up with PJ themes, hot cocoa, and amazing photo-ops, and movie nights are way cozier when you’re wrapped up in a blanket. But don’t fear warm-weather lovers, half of the school year isn’t even spent in the cold. The first two months of the year are warm, as are the last two, making students appreciate the sun that much more. And when the sun shines — the sun SHINES.

The location

Ann Arbor is the college town of all college towns. With the campus being located in the heart of the city, students get the perfect blend of campus-and-city feel. Who doesn’t want to stop and pick up some fro-yo on their way to class? Also, the abbreviation of Ann Arbor into AA makes for some amazingly creative captions and titles: #hAAil #finAAllyhome #youweremAAdetogoblue.

The tailgates

Michigan is notorious for its football gameday tailgates. Students wake up at the crack of dawn (no, actually…6am wake up call is no joke), put on their already-planned-out maize and blue getups, and make their way to the various places on campus that take part in the tradition. If it’s Saturday morning during football season, there’s no question that every porch, backyard, and driveway will be filled with students getting hyped up. It’s one of the few times every student on campus is gathered to support the same cause. And while making it to the actual game may be up for debate, there’s no doubt everyone is making it to the tailgate.

The team, the team, the team

There’s one reason Michigan tailgates are so popular: the team. A consistently top-ranked football team, the Michigan Wolverines embody what college football is all about. They are talented, spirited, and determined. This past year, the team scored big when alumni Jim Harbaugh returned to his old stomping grounds to coach the squad. The team soared under its new leadership, with a winning record of 10-3 and 6-2 in the Big Ten. With help from big personalities and talent like Jabrill Peppers and Kareem Walker, Michigan students and alums can be heard from the tailgates to the Big House cheering for “the team, the team, the team.”

The alumni network

If it isn’t already apparent, the people who attend and graduate from the University of Michigan simply love it. There isn’t a single alumnus who doesn’t “bleed blue” and have some sort of Michigan-themed decal on their car. This is the type of person the University breeds — a well-rounded, well-educated, passionate grad, one who would do anything for their school and fellow Wolverines. Many students pursue internships over the summer at companies run by graduated Wolverines, and are offered jobs later in life with more alumni. There are so many Wolverines out there, spanning every job market, and Wolverines stick together in an almost pack-like mentality (come on, the joke was right there). Once you go blue, you never go back.

The food

Frequently deemed the hub of good college food, Ann Arbor holds endless opportunities for foodies on a college budget. With restaurants that cover every genre of food with late night snacking hotspots, secret hidden gems, and fancy first date options, students are never at a loss for a good meal at a reasonable price. Buzzfeed said it best: Ann Arbor is the best food town. Warning — you’re going to be tempted to book a flight.

The spirit

Everything about the University of Michigan revolves around its spirit. The students are spirited, the teachers are spirited, the alumni are spirited. And this spirit doesn’t come from nowhere — the people who’ve attended Michigan just love their school, and want everyone to know. This spirit and sense of tradition is what creates an atmosphere of excitement and happiness that pervades every corner of the campus and beyond. Spirit is something you can’t find just anywhere, and is something that’s hard to foster. But at Michigan, it’s at the top of the list, and that’s something truly special.

The professors and academics

One of the most prevalent things that sets Michigan apart from other schools is the value of education. As a top-ranked public university, the school prides itself on having smart students and smarter staff. This shines through with the professors, who are highly educated and motivated to relay this knowledge to their students. Going to a big university may be intimidating because of the size of classes, but almost every professor offers office hours weekly, and graduate student instructors (GSIs) are also there to help with day-to-day business. And with the availability of tutors, writing and math help centers, and their peers, students are never at a loss for resources.

The community

When ultimately making your choice, seniors, the University of Michigan should stand out for many reasons, but one should stand above the rest — the Michigan community. It goes without saying Michigan is an awesome school, but what makes it so awesome are the people who attend it. Being surrounded by students who are driven both academically and socially is the most valuable experience a school can give you, and between the unbelievable professors, classes, tailgates, restaurants, and general sense of community Michigan provides, there’s no better place to be. So go blue, seniors — I know you won’t regret it.

University of Michigan