What you missed at the CSG debate

Take a minute to learn about the different platforms up for office

With elections right around the corner (March 23 and 24), the Michigan Daily hosted a debate for the candidates running for President and Vice President of Central Student Government (CSG). The debate was on March 11 at 7pm in the Daily’s office. Below is a condensed recap of the most important issues covered at the debate — read on to get educated about the different platforms so you’re informed and ready to cast your vote.

From left to right: Keysha Wall, Chalse Okorom, Micah Griggs, David Shafer, Thomas Hislop, Cameron Dotson

The candidates and their platforms

There are three parties running for election: Your Michigan, New Michigan, and Defend Affirmative Action Party (DAAP). Thomas Hislop is running for President with Your Michigan, and Cameron Dotson for Vice president; David Schafer is running for President with NewMICH, Micah Griggs for Vice President; Keysha Wall is running for President with DAAP, Chalse Okorom for Vice President.

The event began with introductory statements, which outlined each party’s platforms. DAAP was up first. Keysha and Chalse talked about fighting against the privatization of this university and also the lack of minority enrollment. They pointed out that the administration is talking about increasing minority enrollment, but they asked if this was actually happening. They have not released a platform for this year, but a platform from a previous year can be found here.

NewMICH was next. They talked about trying to fix the “unwelcoming and unfriendly environment of CSG.” David and Micah believe that promises aimed at diversifying campus and government haven’t actually happened. Their platform focuses on connection, opportunity, student voice, and well being and safety. They closed their introductory statement by saying it’s “time for CSG you can trust, it’s time for a NewMICH.”

Your Michigan went last. Thomas and Cameron talked about how they are really close and they wanted a party that creates a great sense of community — they wanted a government that was for the people, to make this Your Michigan. Their platform isn’t a typical platform — these are issues they vow to work on that have been brought to them by students. They talked about how they are focused on “[hearing] the voices of other students to find solutions to actual problems.”

Uniting the community

The candidates were asked what they would do to better unite diverse groups and create a sense of community across campus. DAAP said they believed this campus is very divided and that there’s a false sense of peace that must be identified and dealt with. They said CSG doesn’t represent the population and it “sweeps important issues under the rug.”

NewMICH agreed that CSG isn’t very diverse and they advocated that people should be made aware of how their privilege affects them. They called for administration to come to them with questions about how to improve diversity.

Your Michigan took a more student-based stand, saying they would go to students at orientation to make them excited about improving this campus. They also said they are already meeting with groups to talk to each other about diversity-related issues.

The administration’s handling of underage drinking

The candidates were asked what they think about the current policy on underage drinking, including pushing back the first year’s move in date so they have less time to participate in welcome week.

DAAP said the current tactics are fear-mongering and students shouldn’t have to deal with the threat of being harassed by police.

NewMICH talked about being proactive not reactive, setting up hydration stations on game days.

Your Michigan mentioned that they planned on expanding dining hall hours on game and drinking-heavy holidays like St. Patrick’s day. They talked about having more students moderating tailgates and parties to make sure they’re safe.

Mental health issues

Your Michigan said there is need for expansion of CAPS, and talked about how CSG just passed a resolution to expand CAPS in the union.

NewMICH also talked about CAPS expansion and said they were going to push for 11 new counselors. They talked about how this is an issue of student safety: “every student deserves to feel safe in their mental health.”

DAAP agreed it is an issue of safety and said mental illness needs to be talked about more.

The overlap between NewMICH and Your Michigan

NewMICH said they had more actionable, explicit, and tangible goals. They said the platforms overlap so much because both talk about issues people agree are issues. They argued they were the group that would actually accomplish their goals.

Your Michigan said making a difference starts with a sense of community, and their sense of community will foster better relations with other groups. They then called out NewMICH’s platforms for not being economically feasible. NewMICH rebutted by saying Your Michigan’s goals don’t accomplish anything that really matters.

Closing statements

NewMICH began by talking about how the University of Michigan has been fighting challenges since its beginning. The main challenge now is lack of inclusivity on CSG. They said CSG needed to start representing the students on campus by making every student feel like they belong and are safe. They said they are a party you can trust to get things done and set in motion goals that will reap success in the future.

Your Michigan was next. Cam talked first about how his experiences at UMich made him want to get involved and how he wants to provide incoming students that same sense of community. Thomas gave an emotional speech about how he lost his mom the year before coming to UMich and he arrived feeling scared he wasn’t going to find his place. He talked about how he found a tight knit community and he wants all students to feel welcome and supported. He said, “I want freshmen to find their spot, and for seniors to feel they have found their calling…I want students to feel like this university is theirs.”

DAAP closed the debate by saying they don’t feel like the University is equipped to help students of different backgrounds. They feel CSG currently cuts down demands so they pass, but they don’t actually accomplish anything. They called for CSG to stay resolved to fight for equality in education, find answers and support, and to stand with students rather than administration.

Voting for CSG elections (and the different colleges’ government elections) starts March 23 at 12pm and ends March 24 at 11:59. Voting is online at vote.umich.edu.

University of Michigan