Why having a sibling at college is actually the best

You followed them around as a kid…and then to college, too

I have a pretty unique roommate situation: My roommate’s older brother goes to Umich…and he’s roommates with my older brother. We figured if they got along so well, why wouldn’t we? Being a younger sibling, you do have a history of getting beat up on and being the butt of the joke, but we’ve agreed there are definitely lots of perks to having siblings at college with you.

You have access to a car

My brother has our car here at school and let me tell you, it is definitely a perk to be able to get off of campus and go to Target every once in a while. Whether I need some serious retail therapy or just need to buy some more toothpaste, I always enjoy a quick trip with the car. As a freshman, I’m constantly taking the bus everywhere, so it’s nice to be able to pass the buses on Fuller Road, crank the tunes, and drive.

Funny run-ins

One time my brother walked right passed me as I was waiting for my food at Panera. It was ridiculous and hilarious that we were there at the same time — but who knows, great minds think alike! Whether it be in passing on the Diag or in the crowd of a football game, randomly running into your sibling will always bring a goofy smile to your face.

You have someone to rant to

Being a freshman, you’re constantly meeting new people all the time and it can become very overwhelming and stressful. Sometimes it’s hard to really express your feelings to these new people, because you don’t know where they’re coming from and you don’t want to insult them or make them think you’re a crazy person. Having a sibling at the same college as you is really nice when you need to rant about something or just get away from the freshman dorms for awhile. It’s really nice having a familiar person to talk to that keeps it real but also helps you out in a time of need.

Parents visit more often

Having a sibling at college also means your parents have double the reason to come visit. I love having my parents visit because it always entails a weekend of free food and laughs. Like I said before, freshman year can be really stressful and being able to see your parents more often really helps diminish any signs of homesickness.

You become much closer

It’s been really cool being able to have my brother here on campus with me for this past year. I’ve been able to see what his life is like here at school and we’ve been able to spend a lot more time together. Whether it’s getting lunch at Panera on Fridays (we have a thing for Panera, okay?) or going to see Kung Fu Panda 3 in 3D (which was surprisingly really good, just saying), it’s been really fun being able to hang out with him. I think the ultimate perk of going to the same college as a sibling is getting the opportunity to become much closer to each other and form a bond over the amazing university you share.

University of Michigan