The UMich a cappella scene is actually Pitch Perfect

It’s alive and well and aca-awesome

We’ve all seen Pitch Perfect, and we all agree the first one was better than the second. We also agree a cappella is a super cool thing that we wish was more prevalent in our lives. Well pitches, wish no longer. Two of my best friends are involved with a cappella groups, so I’m an a cappella expert by proxy. With my expertise, I’m here to tell you why UMich a cappella is actually just like Pitch Perfect.

Harmonettes or Barden Bellas?

There are a ton of different groups on campus

Just like in Pitch Perfect, there are a bunch of different groups all vying for our attention with varying degrees of painfully punny nicknames. There are all-girl groups: The Harmonettes, The Sirens, The Sopranos, and Midnight Blue. There are all guy groups (like the Treblemakers, but less douchey): the G-men and the Friars. And then there are the mixed groups: (g)imble, Amazin’ Blue, The Dicks and Janes, 58 Greene, The Compulsive Lyres, Kopitonez, Angels On Call, Good News, Maize Mirchi, and Kol Hakavod. All these groups make up the nation’s largest a cappella community that we boast here at UM. Seriously, we’re number one at everything.

This is Amazin’ Blue. They like puns that play off our school colors, just like the rest of us

They’re all ridiculously talented

Singing like the beautifully angelic, unaccompanied choirs that they are isn’t the only cool trick up their sleeve. They also arrange their own sets, just like Beca from Pitch Perfect. And they’re all college students. I can barely hold a tune and there are people here who can arrange music in a way that makes you *feel* things. And nothing makes you feel more things than (g)imble doing a mash up ofJustin Bieber’s ‘Sorry’ and Selena Gomez’s ‘Good for You’ (#Jelena4ever).

Maize Mirchi blew (blue?) us all away

The big competition is a real thing (though sadly without Elizabeth Banks commentating)

You know how the whole plot of Pitch Perfect is the Bellas preparing for, and eventually winning, that huge talent competition? Yeah, that’s real. It’s called ICCAs and UMich’s very own Maize Mirchi recently won the district quarterfinals. Compulsive Lyres and Amazin’ Blue came in second and third respectively, because UMich is just that good at being good at things.

The pitch pipe from the movie is a real thing but there’s an app for that

There are really dope parties (even if they don’t take place in abandoned swimming pools)

While a cappella parties here are far less competitive than the parties from the movies (riff-offs aren’t a real thing), they’re still just as cool. Just picture a basement full of people who can actually sing drunkenly harmonizing to ‘Pony’ by Ginuwine.

(g)imble: (g)reat (g)roup of (g)oofballs

They all really enjoy a cappella and would love for you to enjoy it too

Whether it’s in the movie or in real life, a big part of a cappella is being “like family.” While they sing better than any family I’ve ever met, you can see their close bond just by being around them.  And with concerts throughout the year, you too can go experience these UMich families. These weird, kind of intimidating, and very talented families. So go to a cappella concerts — it’s like Pitch Perfect, but better because it includes your fellow Wolverines.

*Mic drop*

University of Michigan