The pros and cons of living on North Campus

It’s just SO far from civilization

When I tell people I live on North Campus, I watch as their eyes widen and their faces scrunch up in sympathy before they reply, “I’m so sorry for you.”

Let me clarify: I am an LSA freshman. Every single one of my classes is on Central Campus. As you probably know, North Campus is great for the Engineering and Stamps school kids, but not so much for everyone else. Because I knew I wasn’t alone in my frustration, I decided to find out what my fellow North Campus dwellers like and dislike about living here.

Con: Waiting for the Bursley-Baits bus

Standing on a Bursley-Baits during student rush hours is quite the unpleasant experience. Imagine: sardines packed on top of each other, but instead of salty fish, the bus is full of students with backpacks so large, you’d think they were carrying around hiking gear.

Con: The hills are quite the workout

Pictured above is the route from Baits to the Bursley dining hall. Hills on hills on hills. Walking around North Campus will definitely build up those quads very nicely.

Pro: The Dude is a great place to study

Echoed walls with high ceilings, the Duderstadt is the Art, Architecture, and Engineering library located on the Pierpont stop. Expect to find a lot of international students, graduate students, and engineers here during the slow weekends. Considerably better looking than the Ugli, but not as intimidating as the Law Library – the Dude is the modern in-between.

Con: Most events aren’t on North Campus

With the exception of the recent Startup Career Fair, many events (especially mass meetings) are held on Central Campus. Just imagine the parade of blue buses cruising up to North if Pierpont were the new Diag.

Pro: The Reflecting Pool is beautiful

Throw in a penny for luck? The Reflecting Pool has certainly earned its name because it casts off a mirror image of anything on the other side of its waters. Make a stop during the full moon and you would think you stepped into a scene from an oil painting. This pool is by the statue of the famed mascot, the fierce wolverine. (Personally, I thought it sort of resembled a beaver the first time I saw it).

Con: There’s only one dining hall

Bursley definitely isn’t the most popular option when South Quad and Mojo exist a mere ten minutes away (though that’s quite the trek in winter). With the exception of rare occasions, your ice cream sundae here won’t be graced by the presence of Oreo crunchies and M&M’s (unless you’re totally fine with rainbow sprinkles, which honestly have no flavor anyway).

Pro: North Campus is calmer

Living on North Campus can be a hassle at times, but it’s a peaceful home away from the hubbub of busy classes, mass meetings, and Game Day tailgates. Although there may not be as many restaurants or shops as Central, North Campus dwellers can take advantage of the lack of distractions to build a tighter community. These woods provide a rare opportunity for alone time at a school as massive as the University of Michigan.

University of Michigan