There’s a petition to get DJ Khaled as the commencement speaker

Major key — they don’t want us to have a dope commencement speaker

WE THE BEST!!!!

Brent Ritter (’19) is petitioning the University of Michigan Student Council to have Snapchat phenom DJ Khaled grace UM’s presence with a commencement speech at this year’s graduation.

On the petition, which is being conducted through an open forum on Change.org, Ritter explains his thought process: “I think I speak for the entire student body in saying DJ Khaled is one of the most inspirational social media users of the current age,” he writes. “With graduation being a stepping stone on our road to success as University of Michigan graduates, this would be a perfect speaker to usher us into adult life. I’m positive his speech would be full of keys to happiness that would be invaluable to our futures.”

At the time of publication, 64 brave students have signed the online petition, which can be found here (go ahead, you know you want to).

Personally, I’m a bit of a Khaled loyalist — he motivates me to get out of bed every morning. I can see the appeal of having him address a graduating class. I’m sure he’d evoke some pretty strong emotions with his description of his breakfast (which totally isn’t always exactly the same…) or with his assurances that his treadmill talk will “soon come.”

At the end of the day, Khaled supporters aren’t concerned with proper grammar and relevant information. They watch his stories because he is entertaining, fresh, and proud. It doesn’t matter that he yells out to his shrubbery (‘LION!!’) or blatantly endorses apple Ciroc and apple Ciroc alone. He puts a spring in his fans’ step, because we know we’re part of a community of motivated viewers.

Courtesy of DJ Khaled’s Snap story

The commencement speaker isn’t announced until March, so Ritter and his supporters can still hold out hope that the UM council will recognize the amazing potential DJ Khaled has to inspire the U of M class of 2016.

Because they don’t want us to graduate. Enjoy your breakfast.

University of Michigan