White supremacist Richard Spencer will speak at MSU

A white supremacist is officially going to speak at Michigan State

Richard Spencer, the leader of the white supremacist National Policy Institute, is coming to Michigan State on March 5 to speak.

Spencer initially requested to speak at Michigan State over the summer. His request was accepted; however, after this was made known to the public, people were horrified and MSU's administration decided not to let him speak.

Attorney Kyle Bristow filed a lawsuit against MSU because of this decision on the grounds that Spencer's first amendment rights were being infringed upon. The agreement for Spencer to speak at MSU in the spring is a condition of the lawsuit.

President Lou Anna K. Simon released a statement earlier this evening about the issue saying, "Michigan State is wholly dedicated to freedom of speech, not just as a public institution, but as an institution of higher education. Here, ideas—not people—are meant to clash and to be evaluated based on their merits. Michigan State rejects this group’s divisive and racist messages and remains committed to maintaining a diverse campus and supporting an inclusive, just and democratic society."

Simon also mentioned that the reason Spencer is speaking on the first day of spring break and at the Pavilion for Agriculture and Livestock Education is because of, "the university’s requirement that the event occur on a date and at a venue that minimizes the risk of violence or disruption to campus."

The two-hour speech will be held from 4:30 to 6:30pm.

Michigan State