President Simon speaks out against MSU doctor accused of sexual assault

Dr. Larry Nassar is being sued by over 20 women for assault

Larry Nassar, a former doctor at MSU,  was recently arrested on a federal charge of child pornography. Previously he had upwards of 60 police complaints, three lawsuits and was charged with the sexual abuse of a young girl. The FBI has even gotten involved after allegedly finding footage of his abuse. He is currently being held without bond. Today, MSU President Lou Anna K. Simon sent out an emailed statement condemning Nassar and any wrongful actions he may have committed.

She commended the bravery of the people who came forward to speak out about his behavior in August 2016, after which immediate action was taken.

Nassar was fired on Sept. 20, after which President Simon immediately began an internal review of all aspects of Nassar’s work at MSU. She also reviewed policies and protocols that may have allowed Nassar’s behavior to slip through the cracks.

President Simon stated that all employees are expected to fully cooperate with the internal investigation regarding Nassar and his activities.

In the email, Simon concluded by addressing sexual misconduct and how it is unacceptable for anyone to feel unsafe or at risk. She encouraged people to come forward and call MSUPD’s tip line with any information about the case, and made sure to reiterate the seriousness at which she is taking these allegations.

Last week Nassar was officially arrested on a federal charge of child pornography. Previously he has had upwards of 60 police complaints and three lawsuits, as well as being charged with the sexual abuse of a young girl. The FBI has even gotten involved after allegedly finding footage of his abuse. He is currently being held without bond.

Michigan State charges crime MSU nassar olympics president sexual assault university