Sweet Lorraine’s closes, Panda Express opens

A look at the changes along Grand River

Sweet Lorraine’s Fabulous Mac n’ Cheez! closed its doors this past week, not long after the abrupt September closure of Cosi on Grand River Avenue.

The famous Mac n’ Cheese will be missed, and although it is a sad moment for macaroni and cheese lovers all over East Lansing, it should not be a time of mourning. This only shines a light of hope on more future restaurants and shops along Grand River Ave.

With both restaurants being located on Grand River, a prime location for eating and shopping in East Lansing, what can people look forward to in the future of dining here in East Lansing?

One exciting opening coming soon to MSU is a full-sized Panda Express. It is located right on Grand River, and is currently undergoing construction and completion.

“I never went to Cosi or Sweet Lorraine’s, but I love Panda Express,” said MSU freshman Haley Borrow. “It is one of my favorite places to eat. I was walking one day down Grand River and I saw the sign, and I was so excited. It definitely will bring a lot of attention and food-lovers. I know I will be there the day it opens.”

We asked around for what else students would like to see open here near MSU. Many said they would be interested in more places that offer smoothies, such as Tropical Smoothie Café.

I asked freshman and journalism major Mattie Milne what she thought would be a good addition to Grand River. She mentioned a restaurant she has visited in the South which boasts a similar setup to Panera and uses wholesome, healthy ingredients as well as soft serve ice cream.

“Aside from restaurants, more shops like Urban Outfitters would be nice as well,” said Milne.

So Spartans, let’s try not to be too sad about the closing of some local favorites. Look on the bright side: the closing of some restaurants in East Lansing brings with it the chance for new ones to be opened. Although you may not be able to have your favorite mac n’ cheese anymore, there is the potential for you to discover your new favorite East Lansing food spot or shopping destination in the near future.

Michigan State