A Spartan’s guide to simple game day makeup

If any Spartan will be scoring on game day, it should be you

If you’ve ever wondered how to get long-lasting-Instagram-worthy-super-cute-super-easy makeup for game day, look no further. Everything you need to know to achieve that look is here.

Primer

Start of by giving your makeup a little extra staying power and dab a primer around your face. This will also serve to give your makeup a subtle glow.

Used: L’Oreal Magic Lumi Light Infusing Primer

Concealer

Hide any extra redness or trouble spots with a little concealer. Remember to gently dab it on with a brush or your ring finger.

Used: Too Faced Born This Way

Foundation

Next, apply your foundation. You can use a powder or a liquid for this step. Since it is game day and long-lasting makeup is ideal, I’m using a liquid. When applying build up your foundation layer by layer: do not put a lot on in the first application. Pro-tip: when applying your foundation use circular motions that go down, in the direction of any hairs to get a more air-brushed look.

Used: Rimmel Match Perfection

Powder

If you used a liquid foundation, use a setting powder to keep it in place a little longer by lightly dusting it across your face.

Used: Maybelline Shine Free Loose Powder and BareMinerals BareSkin Perfecting Veil

Contour

Apply your contour to the places in your face that would normally be shadowed; this includes under your cheekbones, your jawline, your hairline and the corners of your nose. For an easier, more natural look I use a powder contour, but if you prefer using a cream product there is that option.

Pro tips: If you are having a hard time placing the contour across your cheek, imagine a line going from the top of your ear to the corner of your mouth. Don’t forget to blend!

Used: Too Faced Cocoa Contouring Chiseled to Perfection

Highlighter

To get the most radiant look, dust on a highlighter in the places the light would naturally hit your face. These places include your cheekbones, the bridge of your nose, your forehead, and the area below the hallows of your cheek but above your jawline.

Used: Urban Decay Naked Flushed- Native

Brows

The brows are quintessential. There are a lot of rules when it comes to shaping your brows; however, if you are as lazy as I am, there are a few corners to cut that save time while keeping your eyebrows looking good. Start by outlining the shape of your brows – this is where you can slightly alter the shape of them, but be careful not to go too crazy. Then, using quick strokes, fill in the lines until you get the density you’re looking for. I use a pomade for this look, however you can use a pencil or powder instead.

Used: Anastasia Beverly Hills Dipbrow Pomade

Eyeshadow

This is where the fun is. Since it is game day, it’s time to go all out. With a green eyeliner pencil, I followed the crease of my eyelid and then went down and lined my waterline. Then I blended..and blended..and blended. If you lose some of the pigmentation go back and add a little more to get that dramatic look.

After I had that, I went back and put on white and sparkles on my eyelid. When doing this, I was careful to sharpen the line between the green in my crease and the white on my eyelid.

Used: NYX Jumbo Eye Pencil 624A Rocky Mountain Green, BareMinerals Velvet Vanilla, BareMinerals Flawless Diamond

Eyeliner

If you aren’t a fan of the cat-eye, you can simply draw on a line with your eyeliner and move on to the next step. However, if you are committed to going all out with this look, the cat-eye is necessary.

To achieve a line sharp enough to cut a bitch, I used a liquid liner and drew a line from the outside corner of my eye to about half-way to the edge of my eyebrow. Then I went back to the middle of my eye and drew a line that connected to the outer point of the first line. From there just go through and fill it in. Now go back and carefully get the inside corner of your eyes.

Used: NYX Matte Liquid Liner

Mascara/eyelashes

To round out the eye look sweep a quick coat of mascara across your lashes. If you want to go a step further, apply some false eyelashes. To do this, put the glue across the lash strip and wait about thirty seconds for the glue to become tacky. When they are ready drop them on top of your lash line. Using a pair of tweezers (and most likely your fingers) position the lashes where you want them and push them against your eyelid.

Pro tip: if you can see the glue on when it dries, reapply a coat of eyeliner.

Used: L’Oreal Voluminous Butterfly Intenza and Ardell Wispies

Face décor

To complete your game day look, add some personalized details. You can apply face paint like I did, or you can buy face stickers from the book store or any place selling Michigan State apparel.

Used: BattlePaint Dark Green

Have a great game day, Spartans!

Michigan State