Why you should attend Alpha Chi’s ‘Walk a Mile in Her Shoes’ event

How does Alpha Chi Omega fight against domestic violence? With red heels, of course

The Alpha Chi Omega sorority of Michigan State University holds their annual “Walk A Mile in Her Shoes” philanthropy event this Sunday, October 9 at 10 am on Burcham Street. If you’ve never heard of this event before, you might be a bit confused when you see large groups of men walking around in red high heels (not your typical Sunday view).

For this event, men of all ages volunteer to walk a mile in a pair of women’s shoes as a way of LITERALLY walking a mile in her shoes, while the girls of the sorority and other attendees cheer them on and laugh as they watch the boys stumble from the Alpha Chi Omega house, where the walk begins, all the way down Burcham. But who is her?

Her stands for all women who have been affected by domestic violence. The boys are wobbling down the road for more than just laughs – they’re doing it to support survivors of abuse and unhealthy relationships. Each patron pays a $10 participation fee, and all proceeds go to MSU Safe Place (located on the Michigan State campus), which provides shelter, counseling, safety planning, etc. not only for students and faculty, but also for those of the greater Lansing area who have been affected by domestic violence.

Alpha Chi Omega, a non-profit sorority founded in 1855, began working against domestic violence in 1922. The organization works to fight unhealthy relationships, and gives survivors the tools necessary for them to build safe and healthy relationships in their future.

With the month of October being Domestic Violence Awareness Month (DVAM), there is no better time for the Alpha Chi’s to spread awareness on college campuses – especially when domestic violence and unhealthy relationships are such a big issue in today’s collegiate society.

So this Sunday, when your man throws on a pair of flashy heels, make sure he remembers who he’s walking for. Don’t be scared to walk beside him, either (you can wear tennis shoes, though).

Michigan State