First pitch of MSU vs. Umich 3-day series tonight

Series low down between the Big Ten second and third place teams

The Michigan State men’s baseball team came out swinging this year. This season’s record is currently en route to break the school record for best start to the season, which was set in 1971. With a record of 28-10, the Spartans sit just outside of the top 25 in the nation and take no. 3 in the Big Ten conference, one rank behind the Wolverines. Today at 6pm, the Wolverines will take the mound on their home field in Ann Arbor. The game will be broadcasted via Spartan Sports Network and TV. This is also the same for the following games on Saturday here in East Lansing with the Spartans on the mound at 1:05pm. Concluding with the series finale back in Ann Arbor on Sunday at 3pm.

MSU’s pitching is a key contributing factor to this season’s success. As a team, they combine to have a 2.37 ERA– tied with Houston for second best in the country. Two of the three intended starters for this upcoming season are ranked within the top 5 best starters in the Big Ten Conference at first and third.

This season the team has accumulated six shutouts, including three consecutive shutouts in the beginning of the season. They are currently tied for 10th most in the country. One more would put this season at the most shutouts in school history since 1979. As far as an overall pitching staff, they are ranked second in the Big Ten. The 320 strikeouts average out to be 8.4 strikeouts per game. At this pace, the Spartans have the potential to break the record that was newly set by last year’s team.

This evening, RS Junior, Cam Vieaux, will be starting on the mound. As a 6’2, lefty player qualified enough to play in the Major Leagues, Vieaux is back at MSU pitching his best season with a solid 1.46 ERA. He is ranked no. 19 starting pitcher in the nation, and no. 1 in the Big Ten. With an impressive 68.0 innings; 63 strikeouts, 13 walks, and only 11 earned runs were allowed. Tomorrow, RS Sophomore, Ethan Landon is probable to start, and Sunday Junior, Joe Mockbee, is the probable starter. Landon currently has a 2.01 ERA and is ranked third in the Big Ten.

The Spartan bullpen has done a great job in terms of termination this year. Relievers have 163 strikeouts and only 65 walks this season. State’s bullpen has an ERA of 2.46 and has allowed only 35 earned runs in 128 innings.

This season the Spartans have a total of 399 hits. Seven of MSU’s starters are batting better than .275. Junior, Jordan Zimmerman, is one of the lead contributors to the team’s success. His strong offensive abilities put him in the top five in the Big Ten in numerous offensive categories. This season he has just two games without a recorded hit. As a team, MSU batting ranks third in the Big Ten averaging 10.5 hits per game. They score an average of 5.9 runs a game, and have thus far outscored opponents 226-118 on the year.

Michigan, no. 15 in the nation, stands as no. 2 in the Big Ten conference with a record of 8-3 in the conference and 28-10 overall, not too far ahead of the Spartans. They have accumulated a batting average of .307 as a team leaving them to be 25th in the nation.

The program will continue to grow over the next few years. Head coach, Jake Boss Jr., has won over 200 games at MSU and has six straight 30-win seasons. The young Spartan roster is composed of mostly sophomores and freshman. Three of these freshman were named 2015 All-Big Ten Freshman.

Michigan State