The do’s and don’ts of Rama

Get your jerseys back out, folks, it’s Thursday

If you’re a student here at Michigan State you may have heard a thing or two about Burgerama, or better known as “Rama”. Every Thursday well before opening, people line up outside of The Riv, an East Lansing bar. Between 10am to 9pm they offer $4.25 pitchers of beer and a $2.50 burger and fries deal. For those non-beer drinkers, long islands from The Riv are known to not disappoint. Every week a live DJ is featured while everyone walks around socializing with one another.

Don’t: Pregame for Rama

It happens to everyone; as much as you think you know your limits, you can’t win them all. When going to an all day drinking event remember: “It’s a marathon, not a sprint”. Those who try to attempt this feat usually don’t fare too well at the end of the day. However, sometimes Rama is used in place of a pregame.

Which leads to another don’t: don’t plan on making it to your classes later on in the day. When consuming pitchers of beer at a time, any afternoon plans are most likely going to be replaced by a nap.

Do: Get in line early

Every year this event becomes more popular and the lines grow even longer. If you want to keep the wait time to get in short, then be sure to get in line early. Usually a line begins to form around an hour before. Regardless of the weather, the line to get in still stands strong every Thursday. With the recent time change, people will be out there ready to go even earlier.

Don’t: Forget a jersey

Over the years the most popular apparel seen being worn is a jersey of any kind. Eventually this has grown to become one of the unspoken rules of Rama. Not all people choose to participate, but it’s highly recommended. All types of jerseys are worn such as throwback Mike Bibby Vancouver Grizzlies jerseys to newer ones like rookie phenom Kristaps Porzingis of the New York Knicks. Often times people lose focus in their drinking games when they see a cool or funny jersey they have not seen before.

Do: Know your drinking game rules

Flip cup, Thunderstruck, and quarters are among the three most popular games played there, as well as their giant Jenga game. When playing with people who know what they’re doing, make sure you do too. If the song Thunderstruck starts playing be sure you know when it’s your turn to start drinking, or else you’ll be deemed as “that guy” who messes with the flow of the game. Throughout the day the competitive atmosphere within The Riv continues as people come and go.

Don’t: Wear something you’ll regret

At an all day drinking event you’ll want to make sure you’ve got the right attire. In sum, sometimes you might have to prioritize function over fashion; shoes especially. As comfortable as those heels  felt before embarking on your journey, you may find yourself questioning at the end of the day why you had ever thought this would be a good idea.

Also, consider the extra layer you’ll have on: your alcohol blanket. Don’t be intimidated by a cold Thursday in January. After a pitcher or two the cold won’t even phase you. In fact, you’re likely to find yourself working up a sweat from the chaos of Rama. Especially after belting out Vanessa Carlton’s, A Thousand Miles,  with everyone in the bar, or concluding an intense game of quarters.

Occasionally different companies, such as Coors, will sponsor this event

As the year progresses more people have birthdays, which in turn means more people turning 21. One of the few complaints people have is that Rama progressively gets more crowded as the year goes on. For some this is their go-to Thursday event, and for others, it has become a fallback option. Whether you’ve learned the ropes, or you’re still working on it, everyone who has been to Rama has their fair share of memories.

Michigan State