Everything you know if you grew up in South Lyon, Michigan

Like going out to eat and knowing at least one of the waitresses

Growing up in South Lyon provided a perfect small town backdrop for a happy childhood. After spending 15 years of my  life here, there are a few things that I’ve picked up on that are pretty much universal truths for everyone from my hometown.

The South Lyon Hotel

Perhaps the most iconic landmark in South Lyon, The Hotel is clearly the best restaurant in town. While the name might throw some visitors off, it is the place to bring them to truly experience South Lyon.Photo Credit: Pulte Homes

The Pontiac Trail/11 Mile intersection

Anyone who drives a car will understand the horror that is this intersection, especially if you are on 11 mile and especially if the high school just got out.

The Rhino Pub

For a long time the Rhino was the only bar in SL. Despite the “Northwood” name change, and that it may not be the most high class tavern, it almost seems like a coming of age thing to go to the Rhino at least once after you turn 21.

Being one of the top five safest towns in Michigan

Yearly the list of Michigan’s safest towns will make its rounds on Facebook, and it always leaves me feeling pretty proud to see South Lyon topping that list.

Going out to eat and undoubtedly knowing at least one of the waitresses

No matter where you eat in town, you will run into someone you went to high school with.

Spending a good portion of your summers at Kensington and Island Lake

At least a few times each season, its basically obligatory to hit up one of the gorgeous neighboring parks.

Cursed restaurant

On the corner of Lafayette and Lake Street sits a building that has housed more restaurants since I’ve lived here than I can remember. No one seems to be able to pinpoint the down fall of this building, but hopefully Draught Street fares better than its predecessors.

Witch’s Hat and McHattie Park

Another iconic landmark of South Lyon, the Witch’s Hat Depot, has its own race and has inspired another local bar. McHattie holds a special place in every SL child’s heart, possibly for different reasons depending on the child.

The Dirty

How we acquired this nickname, I am unsure, but it stuck.

Pumpkinfest

The greatest weekend of the year in South Lyon! Always gets everyone in the mood for fall.Photo credit: Mckenzie News Service

Avoiding any fast food place after the middle school dismissal

Children. Children everywhere! Middle schoolers have run of the roads and the restaurants after they’re released, its not even worth the try to intervene, especially if its Friday.

Mickey’s

Any South Lyoner would pick our own Mickey’s Dairy Twist over Dairy Queen. Enough said.Horse theme

There are at least five subdivisions that rapidly come to mind that are horse themed. Trotter’s Point, Carriage Trace, etc. Needless to say, our “Horse Capital of Michigan” heritage has stuck with us.

Erwin’s!

Without a doubt, the best apple orchard to ever exist. Its practically a city wide holiday when August rolls around and their apple cider slushies and donuts are finally available again.

Never getting a snow day

The SL School Board clearly just does not believe in these.

Being proud to be from South Lyon

I wouldn’t have wanted to grow up any where else.

Michigan State