Two East Lansing Uber drivers arrested in sexual assault cases

Two MSU students were involved

Two Uber drivers were charged with sexual assault in East Lansing. The two separate incidences occurred in January and February and involved two different female MSU students.

In late February, East Lansing Police publicized that they were investigating two Uber drivers that were involved with alleged sexual assault cases. Both students reported unwelcome, inappropriate touching from their driver.

The first incident occurred January 16. Salim Salem, 47, was the perpetrator and turned himself in last Tuesday, the 15th. He faces two counts of fourth-degree criminal sexual conduct (CSC).

The second case occurred February 14, and involved Hassan Ibrahim, 48. After a warrant was posted for his arrest, he turned himself in on March 11th. He faces one count of fourth-degree CSC.

A fourth-degree CSC is a misdemeanor. It is punishable by up to two years in prison and/or a fine of up to $500.Photo credit: East Lansing Police Department

Both have since been released on $5,000 bonds. Salem’s bond stipulates that he cannot serve as an Uber driver, or any form of cab driver ever again. Ibrahim’s bond did not included this caveat.

Both arrests were reported to Uber and they have expressed their sincerest regrets about the situation, as well as their well wishes for the women involved. Despite it not being included in both bonds, Uber made it clear that neither Salem, nor Ibrahim would be working for them ever again. Uber has also been very helpful and willing to assist the East Lansing Police to rectify this situation.

Since then, Uber has made plans to register with the Authority.

Michigan State