A definitive power ranking of MSU’s dining halls

Because where you eat is pretty much the most important thing ever

At Michigan State there may be nothing more defining of ones first two-college semester then the dormitory cafeterias. For freshmen, and those of us upperclassmen that are “lucky” enough to have meal plans, the cafs play an integral part in in our every day diets, and yes, I use the word diet lightly.

I think that we can all agree that when it comes to MSU, not all dining halls were created equal. So I am here today to do the good works of the people, undertaking one of campuses most hotly debated questions. A topic so tantalizing it falls into a category of mystery with such questions as the meaning of life, why the sky is blue, and if it is really is to late to say sorry. That’s right, I am here today to provide a definitive power ranking of the schools cafeterias.

Before I begin I must first put out a disclaimer that this is strictly my own personal opinion and contains very little concrete research. I fear I may lose many a friend after the publication of this article but I have gone to far to turn back down. I have redacted all personal information for fear I may become the subject of a campus wide witch hunt.

But without further ado…

5: Shaw

A big name on campus, Shaw is all bark and no bite. The food selection is average but this is overshadowed by the fact that it is overcrowded 24/7. Finding a seat during lunch hours is like a cutthroat game of musical chairs. However, Shaw makes up for this with its location, which is arguably the best on campus. The cookies are also a game changer.

Pros: location, vegetarian station

Cons: weak selection, overcrowded

4: Landon

I know what your thinking, Landon?!? Believe me I get it, I couldn’t even point out Landon on a map until mid April of last year. Never the less Landon is the silent killer of MSU cafs. A great pita station anchors the food selection and the overall ambiance feels like your dining on campus in the 40’s. The only downside is that unless you’re in the north neighborhood area, this dining hall isn’t quite worth making the trek too.

Pro’s: Unique food, ambiance

Cons: What’s north neighborhood?

3. Case

My first introduction to the Case dining hall was AOP prior to freshmen year and I mistakenly assumed that all cafeterias on campus would be of the same standard. Case is the crowning jewel of south neighborhood. Excellent food, plenty of room, and a next level dessert bar give this dining hall its spot in the rankings. Your bound to see some school athletes there since there aren’t any other options in South.

Pro’s: Good food (get the cheese fries), sit with Matt McQuaid?

Con’s: can get repetitive after awhile

2. Brody

Brody is the New york Yankees of Dining Halls. It’s the caf you everyone loves to hate unless, you know, you live there. Brody is like two medium sized cafs put together. Top notch food selection and the most modern equipment it s no wonder the school uses it as their showcase cafeteria for high schoolers. On a personal note, to people living in the Brody neighborhood that say they don’t like their caf, I dare you to come live in East neighborhood for a week. I dare you.

Pros: Best food selection on campus. State of the art

Cons: In the middle of nowhere, have to deal with high schoolers on campus tours. Good luck you naive young children

And coming in at number 1: Snyder-Phillips

After much deliberation with my elite research team, Snyder Phillips was selected as the number one cafeteria on campus. Literally “along the banks of the red cedar”, Sni Phi provides a great location to back up the highest quality food our outrageously high tuition can buy. If the Asian cuisine and pizza stations don’t get you, wait till you meet Minnie, the nicest ID swiper you will ever meet. If you’ve been to Sni Phi, you know who I’m talking about.

Pros: Yes

Cons: No

Worst of the Worst: Hubbard

Hubbard is less of a dining hall and more of a small snack shop. I think they had food there once. I think.

Michigan State